Rogue Electric Sitar

mrmomo

Rogue Electric Sitar

Postby mrmomo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm looking for an electric sitar (ala Kyoto Doll). Vintage used is good. A Coral would be nice, but I fear much too many $$$$.
I actually have a real sitar I bought in Nepal, but it is acoustic, needs new strings and is rather awkward for a gig.

I recently saw a Rogue on the bay which went for $650. I know new Italia's are available for around $650 as well.
Just curious to see if any forum members have one for sale or know of a Rogue or Agile sitar outside the bay.

-John
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

vibramute
Top Producer

Re: Rogue Electric Sitar

Postby vibramute » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:10 pm

I have a feeling Musicians Friend will bring back the Rogue Sitar eventually, they always sold well. MF would put them on sale for $299 periodically (that's what I paid for mine), and that's about all they are worth, IMHO. They are a little lesser quality then the new-ish Danelectro reissues. An original 60's Coral sitar will run you small fortune if you can find one. If you must have a 'traditional' electric sitar, I would look for a used Jerry Jones. The JJ really impressed me when I used one in the studio, a much better instrument then my Rogue. They are made with top quality components and I didn't have the intonation and tuning issues that plauged my Rogue. The Jerry Jones is what Gerry McGee uses live these days.

If you wanna save some money, find a cheapy Danelectro reissue and install a Gotoh Buzz bridge. Instant electric sitar and it won't break the bank. This is what I'm using, I'm only into it for $225...sounds exactly like Pops in Japan '71 ;)

mrmomo

Postby mrmomo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:25 am

Thanks for the tips, Vibramute!

I just saw a Jerry Jones on ebay starting at $750.00 (missing pickguard). Looks like an Ed Roman acquisition/sale from Nashville!?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170804086146?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I also read that the original Corals were plagued with intonation/tuning issues. I did see some posts of folks doing exactly what you did on your Danelectro. One of them said if the Gotoh Buzz bridge is not aligned perfectly with the strings and nut it could cause annoying and unpredictable sounds.
Any special installation considerations for the buzz bridge?

I like your idea of retrofitting the Danelectro. They are cool-looking guitars.

Also, any knowledge of the Italia Sitars? There is a youtube video that sounds really good.

Many thanks!

-John
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:55 am

The Rogue and Italia are probably made at the same place. I do know of one for sale locally, maybe if I have some time this weekend I'll check it out and give you my review. $750 for a Jerry Jones is a pretty darn good price. I might even consider that one (if you pass of course)!

The Gotoh buzz bridge takes a little bit of adjusting to find the 'sweet spot', if it's too low, you won't get much buzz, too high and it chokes the notes. It's generally pretty easy to adjust with a little bit of patience.

Hope this helps!

mrmomo wrote:Thanks for the tips, Vibramute!

I just saw a Jerry Jones on ebay starting at $750.00 (missing pickguard). Looks like an Ed Roman acquisition/sale from Nashville!?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170804086146?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I also read that the original Corals were plagued with intonation/tuning issues. I did see some posts of folks doing exactly what you did on your Danelectro. One of them said if the Gotoh Buzz bridge is not aligned perfectly with the strings and nut it could cause annoying and unpredictable sounds.
Any special installation considerations for the buzz bridge?

I like your idea of retrofitting the Danelectro. They are cool-looking guitars.

Also, any knowledge of the Italia Sitars? There is a youtube video that sounds really good.

Many thanks!

-John

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42 am

Here a quick video of my modified Dano-tar (and some ham fisted playing :lol: ).

I'm using both pickups and playing out of a Roland Cube 40 XL on the clean (Jazz Chorus) setting with the bass, treble and mid EQ set flat, no effects.

The 'buzz' effect on the G string is a little weak, I'm using an unwound G. The Gotoh is a direct clone of the Coral, which was designed for a wound G, which I will replace next time I change strings. I have a feeling that will make a noticeable difference.

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:45 pm

vibramute wrote:
The 'buzz' effect on the G string is a little weak, I'm using an unwound G. The Gotoh is a direct clone of the Coral, which was designed for a wound G, which I will replace next time I change strings. I have a feeling that will make a noticeable difference.

I should clarify: not only a noticeable difference in 'buzz' factor, but also intonation. I have the guitar pretty well intonated, but the G has always been a little problematic.

sycamoregrove

Postby sycamoregrove » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:58 pm

I sold my Rogue Sitar on Ebay for $650, after I'd converted it to a Baritone Sitar using a new Danelectro Bari neck. It sounded good, but these things always have intonation issues vs. buzz factor. You can never get great intonation And great buzz, it's a give/take situation.

Another thing I did to the Rogue was to add a rosewood piece to make the sympathetic strings sound buzzy, like a real sitar. This only works while plucking them for effect, as they are useless for actual sympathetic vibration . . .as the are on Corals, Italias and Jerry Jones's. The strings are simply not long enough or connected vibrationally enough to the rest of the instrument to spontaneously sound like a real sitar does, but you can strum or pluck them for effect while playing, like sitarists sometimes do, and they sound authentic.

The sympathetic strings are the only reason to bother getting a Rogue, Jerry Jones or Italia, and the advantage is negligable. I'd just get a regular, cheap-ass Dano and convert it with a Gotoh bridge and trapeze tailpiece.

What I'm using these days, and what I sold the Rogue to get, is a G. Rosul Fusion Sitar. I bought it so that I could stand up and play like a guitarist with a strap. I can, but I had to add weights to the end of the body to counter-balance the neck. It works great, much better for real sitar sounds and playing style. I actually have two, in different keys, but the pickups suck, and I'm replacing them with better units by Pickup the World soon.

If you like, I can always build you Sitar, as I've done plenty. I recently built a red Peter Max sitar out of an old Dano/Silvertone I had laying around. I think I've got another of those around.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 am

I got my Rogue from Musician's friend when they went on sale for $199. It's ok, but I'll bet the real thing or a Jerry Jones is better.

Return to “Wanted”