1959 Les Paul Burst Clone

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

1959 Les Paul Burst Clone

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:02 pm

hey guys,

I've been busy lately relocating my workshop, but I've been on here getting very jealous of all the Mosrite projects going on!!! lol So I wanted to post my last project at my old shop. It's not a Mosrite, but I thought you guys would still enjoy the pics. I tried to keep the pics at a minimum, out of respect for Danny, and this website.

Once I get my new shop set up, I'm hoping my next project will be my first Mosrite clone. hope you guys enjoy the pics, and let me know what you all think. I love the flame on this guitar!
thanks,
Aaron

Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: 1959 Les Paul Burst Clone

Postby Veenture » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:30 am

WOW!.........(speechless)
I'm jealous of guys like you who have it in their fingers...to MAKE/RESTORE one, as well as play one. Thanks for sharing Aaron.

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:39 am

Very impressive.

BTW, the lawyers will be at your door in the morning. :mrgreen:

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:01 am

Nice project! I really like that burst - Last night in going through some old Guitar Player mags, I was looking at a G&L from the early 90s with that color on there - a Leo Fender tribute guitar. That's a great finish on there.

Dennis

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:09 am

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Man-O-Man! I could tell right off the bat that this was a Clone :twisted: ! Just look at it :twisted: ! The Finish is even and perfect :twisted: !
The Inlays and Binding line up perfectly :twisted: ! The Headstock with the "Gibson" Inlay is 'to die for,' and let's not forget that
Aaron put on a Bookmatched Flametop that is a '12 Top', not a '10 Top' like PRS would use :twisted: ! Oh, and the Electronics??
Waaay too clean for a Gibson. Shame on you Aaron :twisted: ! You need to let some extra solder drip into the V&T Control Cavity,
to give it that 'nasty' Gibson look to make it authentic :twisted: . And then you also have the stupid stuff on this here Clone, in which
There was WaaaaaY too much 'time and care' put into this Guitar :mrgreen:
Aaron, Awesome, totally awesome!! ;)

p.s. I'm probably gonna get a PM from our Fearless Leader about using way too many 'Smilies.' :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Aw, c'mon Dennis. Cut Gibson some slack. What do you expect for $5700?

Here ya go. Add this to your shopping cart:
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electric ... /98178.php
:twisted: ;)
by the way: I am in no way dissing Wildwood. They are a fantastic bunch of guys that know how to treat customers. I know a lot of retailers that could learn some lessons from them.

Hey Aaron, beauty work. What did you go with for the PUs?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:...Here ya go. Add this to your shopping cart:
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electric ... /98178.php
:twisted: ;)

Hey boys, do I read this right...is oipunkguy making guitars for Wildwoodguitars.com ??? :o
...heh, heh, just pulling your leg Aaron ;)

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:44 pm

Trent posted:
Aw, c'mon Dennis. Cut Gibson some slack. What do you expect for $5700?

LOL! Yeah, you're right. I once tried a G****n from what I'll call their "Histerical Collection,"
and ended up leaving the Store Image.......
Let me just say that the price of this Guitar was enough to put 50% on a new Lexus :shock: .

Paul posted:
Hey boys, do I read this right...is oipunkguy making guitars for Wildwoodguitars.com ???

Paul, I don't know about that, but Gibson could learn a few things from some of our Project Builders :mrgreen: .

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:30 pm

hey,
thanks for all the kind words you guys. I would have posted this on the les paul forum, but you guys are cooler to talk to ;)
the pickups are gibson burstburster pickups. #1 for the neck and a #3 for the bridge. some other nice features is I varnished my own cloth wire to make the toggle wiring just like the old 50's models, bubble bee caps, many of the parts is from DMC, dead mint club. they're closest to recreating real old gibson parts as you can find.
also I made by hand my own tortoise shell side dot inlays, since the originals had tortoise shell.
the veneer top is a plastic (i forget the name of exactly what kind right now) and the originals had a holly wood veneer, so I guess it's not perfect, heh.
If you guys want me to post the rest of the pics, I'm cool with it, only if everyone collectively doesn't think it takes away from the Mosrite stuff.

oh one more thing. I used the pigtail brand abr-1 bridge and stopbar. and the bridge and stopbar cost 400 bucks! but, I'm telling you guys, I HAVE NEVER USED AN TUNAMATIC BRIDGE THAT WORKS THIS WELL. I normally would say that price is insane of a little bridge system. but I honestly think it's worth every penny. plus I didn't mind spending that much money on it cuz my total cost was roughly 1200 bucks including everything down to paint, strings and the guitar case. sure beats 5700... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:52 pm

Oipunkguy posted:
I've been busy lately relocating my workshop, but I've been on here getting very jealous of all the Mosrite projects going on!!!
Once I get my new shop set up, I'm hoping my next project will be my first Mosrite clone.thanks,
Aaron

A MOSRITE Clone???? All right Dude....you have the Stage!!!!... ;)

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”