Vox Bulldog Guitar

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Re: Vox Bulldog Guitar

Postby TerryTNM » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Hey there,
I used to have a Bulldog with all the dynamic effects like the Ultasonic. Unfortunately sold it about 40 years ago. When I left Vox in 1968 they were starting to get their guitars right. The first Jennings made Vox guitars (Phantom, Tear-drop) were just horrible. The next maker, Crucianelli was equally as bad and finally EKO started doing a reasonable job but to late. A big part of EKO's problem was an unrepairable thick polyester finish. The PR damage had been done. It wasn't reversible As I recall they discontinued Vox guitars sometime in 1969.

Sorry to get off track. I hope Dnepr has a couple of photos of his Bulldog. It would bring back memories.

-Terry

Sixstringer

Postby Sixstringer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:56 pm

This is a true story. Back in '94 I worked part time in radio, and got to meet Aerosmith at a meet and greet. I showed a picture of this guitar to Joe Perry and Brad Whitford. First thing out of Joe's mouth, no lie-"It kinda looks like a Mosrite, doesn't it?" Then Brad said he'd give me 20 bucks for it, then that way I even doubled my money...LOL

The Bulldog and the Wilson DO look close, except for the bottom end of the body being reversed. I like the mirror image Veenture, that's pretty cool.

I originally said I got it 10 years ago, but I guess it was longer than that, because here is a picture of me (when I was younger, thinner, and no grey hair) playing it in about '93. :oops:

1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1971 Mosrite Mark 1
A whole bunch of other stuff
http://www.myspace.com/guitarjunkiejeff

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:28 pm

Sixstringer wrote:here is a picture of me (when I was younger, thinner, and no grey hair) playing it in about '93. :oops:

At least you've still got hair. :(

Cool pic! ;)
Danny Ellison

Sixstringer

Postby Sixstringer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks! :D

Oh yeah, I still got it, and it still grows like crazy! :lol:
1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1971 Mosrite Mark 1
A whole bunch of other stuff
http://www.myspace.com/guitarjunkiejeff

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:03 pm

TerryTNM wrote:Hey there,
I used to have a Bulldog with all the dynamic effects like the Ultasonic. Unfortunately sold it about 40 years ago. When I left Vox in 1968 they were starting to get their guitars right. The first Jennings made Vox guitars (Phantom, Tear-drop) were just horrible. The next maker, Crucianelli was equally as bad and finally EKO started doing a reasonable job but to late. A big part of EKO's problem was an unrepairable thick polyester finish. The PR damage had been done. It wasn't reversible As I recall they discontinued Vox guitars sometime in 1969.

Sorry to get off track. I hope Dnepr has a couple of photos of his Bulldog. It would bring back memories.

-Terry

Terry,
I have never seen a Bulldog with all the dynamic effects like the Ultrasonic. I have only seen the Bulldog just like the ones on E-Bay. And in the Vox Book which strangely enough only merely mentions the Bulldog (in which it wasn't even listed in the Index), it was Donald A. Greer's favorite model (he was from Englewood, FL and had contributed heavily to the Vox Story Book), he is pictured with his 'Bulldog' in the Book before he passed away in 1991.........
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Great picture!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Dnepr

Postby Dnepr » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:23 am

Terry,
The guitar is at the Singer's house, so I'll try to post a pic as soon as I can. I'll make sure that we get some of the other Vox gear in the pic too...
I personally love the Thomas Organ Vox amps, and actually prefer them to the JMI tube gear. Although the UL Series Hybrids are by far the coolest amps ever made.
I actually built a Super Beatle Preamp that I use as a front end to my tube amps.
MRB is the most underrated tone effect ever. Unfortunately most people don't ever truly utilize the multi channel capabilities of these amps.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:48 am

TerryTNM wrote:Hey there,

-Terry

Dnepr also posted:
Terry,
The guitar is at the Singer's house, so I'll try to post a pic as soon as I can. I'll make sure that we get some of the other Vox gear in the pic too...
I personally love the Thomas Organ Vox amps, and actually prefer them to the JMI tube gear. Although the UL Series Hybrids are by far the coolest amps ever made.
I actually built a Super Beatle Preamp that I use as a front end to my tube amps.
MRB is the most underrated tone effect ever. Unfortunately most people don't ever truly utilize the multi channel capabilities of these amps.

Hey Guys,
I'm dying to see this guitar! I have never seen a 'Bulldog' with all the dynamic effects like the Ultasonic! That's got to be a 'Wild Bulldog!' :)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Dnepr

Postby Dnepr » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 am

My bulldog doesn't have the effects unfortunately...
Just the run of the mill Vox.
:cry:

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:50 am

The Bulldog style guitar with the FX was called the Invader.

If I remember correctly, it had two Ferrosonic pickups instead of the three single coils. And of course the all important E-Tuner!

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”