Tremolux On The Way . . .

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Tremolux On The Way . . .

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey Guys, what's the Power output on the Tremolux??..... :?
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Although they run a pair of 6L6's which are capable of running 25 watts each to make it 50 watts, the Tremolux output trannies only deliver about 35 watts.
Danny Ellison

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey, Dennis--

I believe it's 35 watts RMS. A Bandmaster was 40 watts and a Bassman was 50 watts.

Back in the '60s, at least in South Florida, I'd see Bandmasters and Dual Showman amps (at 85 watts, same as the Fender Twin Reverb in that day) at least as often as I would a Bassman amp. I haven't seen either of them in years; don't know why.

But I am convinced that a tube amp and a solid-state amp specced at the same output do not put out the same volume; I think the tube amp sounds louder. Can't prove that; it is just my feeling.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:32 am

Great score on the Tremolux, and I agree, they do sound smoother. A friend has one, and they start compressing and grinding a lot sooner than the Bassman and Bandmaster piggybacks. Great blues amp!

Jim, funny you mention south Florida. About a month ago I dropped by a used guitar shop sort of in my neck of the woods, and there was a pristine '65 Bandmaster sitting there, inviting and teasing me. I spent the next day trying to figure out what to dump, what I would need in extra cash, and by the time I went back to "talk turkey" wth the shop owner, it was gone! Oh well...

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Nice amp - it might not be faithfull to the original but it does look good! My friend keeps saying he will sell me his Tremolux but he hasn't offered it up yet. I'll be patient and wait. Meanwhile I do have my Custom Vibrolux Reverb which is about the same size powerwise and I love it. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Tremolux, and your back will too.

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:21 pm

64sunburst wrote:
>>Meanwhile I do have my Custom Vibrolux Reverb which is about the
>>same size powerwise and I love it.

Byron, a friend of mine who know vintage Fender tube amps a lot better than I do considers the Vibrolux Reverb to be very similar to the Tremolux, except, of course, for the reverb aspect of the amp.

Since I didn't have reverb on the Tremolux or the Vibro Champ, I looked at a lot of reverb pedals and effects. At first, I was going to go for one of those Van Amps units that has a physical reverb tank in the unit. But a friend convinced me that a reverb tank that short wouldn't give me the sound I was looking for.

So I A/B'ed four effects at the local music store, with the Mighty Bob Shade with me to assist in the ear department, and we both preferred the Hall of Fame unit. So that's what I got.

Seems nice so far.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:36 pm

dubtrub wrote:I thought you shipped that cabinet off over a month ago. :shock: Should have sent it to me. I can recover them in 3-4 days. However you would probably still be waiting for it while I tried it out for a month or two. BTW, I have a line on a pristine '65 that I may trade my Mosrite bass for.

Jim's cab is going out tomorrow, and yes, I've had it for a while. I'm doing the cab thing part time, my regular business keeps me very busy and I do this when I have time. As for :shock: , you probably wouldn't have gotten it out in 3-4 days, even without playing it for a few weeks. This cab had been recovered by someone that used a glue that doesn't dry. The tolex literally slipped off very easily. The glue was a nightmare to remove. Each time I covered it in Methyl Chloride(ZipStrip, the only thing that would remove it) it would keep pulling adhesive out of the surface, took about 4-5 applications to finally get it all out, then there were several spots that needed to be cut out and filled in with small pieces of wood, then sanded. And his original backpanel was coming apart and was broken in the middle. After stripping that, glued it back together and pressed it. Jim Sent me a new backpanel, but this was the original and it is now on the cab. The reissues usually don't fit perfectly because of the metal corners, even the original is tight.

As for 3-4 days, I can recover pretty much any head or cabinet in about 3-4 hours total. That's assuming they are in good condition. Heck, it takes about 4 hours total to make a new one. Covering a new one takes me about an hour and a half. I just finished a 57 bassman that has at least 20 hours in it. Like anything 45 years old or older, you never know what you get till you take it apart. Last easy one was a Deluxe Reverb reissue, about 3 hours total, it's my avatar. New, unmolested cabs are easy!

Jims cab probably has a total of 15 hours in it, here's some pics. Disregard crappy lighting and crooked grillcloth, I didn't do the grill, but I did straighten it after the photos.

Just read this topic and had to respond. If any of you need something restored let me know. I will give you a time frame and won't take money till finished. I will have more time in the winter months and can get s=things out faster. And Jim was not in a hurry, thanks Jim!

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:40 pm

[img][IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l486/zarfnober/tlux2.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l486/zarfnober/tlux1.jpg[/img][/img]
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Sorry about the double post there, I'm new at this part of the forum.

Rocco

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Too many [IMG]'s in front and after.

Looks great!

Jk about 3-4 days. I don't do recover jobs other than as needed on my own projects.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”