Silver Wire Pickups

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Silver Wire Pickups

Postby oipunkguy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:22 pm

some of you may have heard about this, but appearently silver wire wound pickups sound far better then copper. my question is. where do I find silver wire in a 42, 43,or 44 gauge????? where ever i can find it, i know it would be expensive.

Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: Silver Wire Pickups

Postby oipunkguy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:41 am

Silver is a most excellent conducter of electricity, gold of course, being the winner. Perhaps gold wire, Aaron? :roll:
One way of getting your silver wire is to get two Dutchmen to fight over a silver dollar (or another silver coin) :mrgreen:
But good luck with your hunt for the correct silver wire.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 am

$600 for a humbucker. I can't wait to hear them.

My poor old ears probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I don't hear a big difference in a lot of the magic wire products out there.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Paul you crack me up, however gold isn't the best conductor of electricity, however gold is the best source of scaring old people into converting their retirement from paper money. ;) ;) ;) ;)

In all seriousness, gold is something like the 4th of 5th best conductor, or somewhere along those lines....

Mr. Bill I was as skeptical as you until I heard a demo of two strats side by side one with copper one with silver. the difference was unbelievable and very apparent. maybe you couldn’t tell the difference using a marshall cracked at 10, but for you clean players ( which seems to be a lot of forum members) I think you would be blown away. here just watch the video and let it do the talking.

Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:00 am

oipunkguy wrote:In all seriousness, gold is something like the 4th of 5th best conductor, or somewhere along those lines....
Thanks for correcting me, Aaron. It's a relief knowing there's no need for gold coils in guitar pickups :oops:

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:53 am

Gee, not only pure silver wire but cryogenic treatment as well. No wonder why they sound so much better and cost so much.

I'm not a good judge of the sound on the video, so I will wait until I can hear them in person before making any final calls.

And having exposed my poor old ears to far too many Marshall's at 10, sometimes I'm not the best judge of subtle sound nuances.

mrmomo

Postby mrmomo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Here, Here!, Mr Bill.
Or should I say "Hear, Hear!" :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:38 pm

I just listened to the vid with my headset on... Noticeable difference! Noticeable difference in price too, I'll wager... ;)
Olrocknroller

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:27 am

While I agree there's a noticeable difference between the pickups, I don't think silver, cryogenic wire is the only way to get a louder, more present tone - probably the cheapest being to change the volume and tone settings on your amp.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”