Fret Buzz

ZacJM
Top Producer

Fret Buzz

Postby ZacJM » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Hey guys, its been a long time since I've posted on the forums! Been in college and just haven't had as much free time, well I guess I should say my priorities are in different past-times now, but I have been checking out stuff here on the forums.

I had a question regarding some fret buzz I've had on my guitar. I've seem to have it since I got the guitar. It is only on one note on the 7th fret on the g-string, and lately it sounds like it is also on the b-string, but that may be that I just need new strings. Would raising the bridge help fix that or is this a hopeless cause?

much thanks for any help guys!!

Zac
http://www.youtube.com/zacmoritz

Main instruments:
Wilson Bros. VM-100 Bogle Model
Reissue Epiphone Willshire
Marshall Mosfet 100 Reverb amp
Green Russian Fuzz Box
Cordovox Super V
Golden Cup Chromatic B-System

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Fret Buzz

Postby 101Volts » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:52 am

Fret Buzz is caused by a fret being higher than the other frets near it and new strings won't help if this is the issue; The problem fret, (Fret 8), If it's too high, Needs to be parallel to the other frets in height. You could raise the bridge to avoid the fret buzz but this isn't a permanent solution and it changes your guitar's setup so you might not like it as much.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:10 am

101Volts wrote:Fret Buzz is caused by a fret being higher than the other frets near it and new strings won't help if this is the issue; The problem fret, (Fret 8), If it's too high, Needs to be parallel to the other frets in height. You could raise the bridge to avoid the fret buzz but this isn't a permanent solution and it changes your guitar's setup so you might not like it as much.

Austin

+1 on that. Take a short ruler, preferably a machinist's rule for accuracy, and place it on the suspect area of the neck, between the strings. Now, attempt to rock the ruler. If it rocks, it's sitting on the high fret, close inspection as you rock the ruler will identify the offending fret. Hope that helps.
Olrocknroller

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 am

Danny Ellison

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Hey, Danny--

That's a great video, and Mr. Erlewine also wrote a great book on guitar repair and maintenance. Most of us probably already have it, but if you don't, you might want to check it out.

That's a cool tool he demonstrates!

Thanks!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 pm

if its not severe, you can usually solve this issue with a few small taps on the fret with a hammer.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

ZacJM
Top Producer

Postby ZacJM » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:20 pm

oipunkguy wrote:if its not severe, you can usually solve this issue with a few small taps on the fret with a hammer.

What would count as not severe? I tried finding the problem fret, but they all seem to be the same height, but I still get this slight buzz on this one fret, would hammering the frets around it do anything, or would that be very detrimental to the neck? I don't have the tools to do that right now anyways, but I can probably fix this over the summer or something, if I knew what needed to be done
http://www.youtube.com/zacmoritz

Main instruments:
Wilson Bros. VM-100 Bogle Model
Reissue Epiphone Willshire
Marshall Mosfet 100 Reverb amp
Green Russian Fuzz Box
Cordovox Super V
Golden Cup Chromatic B-System

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 pm

Proper fret work is critical to the set up and performance of a guitar. That's what keep's tech's in business. However it is not too difficult to accomplish if you understand what you are doing and have the proper tools. Everybody has to start somewhere and doing is the only way to learn. Some good research helps immensely and YouTube is your best friend when it comes to learning. Here's a link to fret leveling and dressing that has some good information.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 42l13l13l0
Danny Ellison

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:27 am

What would count as not severe? I tried finding the problem fret, but they all seem to be the same height, but I still get this slight buzz on this one fret, would hammering the frets around it do anything, or would that be very detrimental to the neck? I don't have the tools to do that right now anyways, but I can probably fix this over the summer or something, if I knew what needed to be done

severe would be using a small straight edge, or fret rocker and finding the fret and it have a lot of play in it. since you cant find it dont hammer anything. you can lower that fret too much and make the rest out of wack. and no hammering in a fret wont harm the neck, hammering in frets is the most common way to installing them. I agree with danny, before you do any work on it do some studing. dan erlwine's guide to guitar repair going throw this topic at length, and if you dont want to buy a copy it should be at the libary. you tube is a great source too.
what you might want to try also is adjust the relief in the truss rod a little. this isnt the propose of adjust a truss rod, but it can fix the problem.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:01 pm

oipunkguy wrote:

severe would be using a small straight edge, or fret rocker and finding the fret and it have a lot of play in it. since you cant find it dont hammer anything. you can lower that fret too much and make the rest out of wack. and no hammering in a fret wont harm the neck, hammering in frets is the most common way to installing them. I agree with danny, before you do any work on it do some studing. dan erlwine's guide to guitar repair going throw this topic at length, and if you dont want to buy a copy it should be at the libary. you tube is a great source too.
what you might want to try also is adjust the relief in the truss rod a little. this isnt the propose of adjust a truss rod, but it can fix the problem.

Sounds like it may not be a fret problem at all, but a slight back-bow in the neck...same solution, 18" rule; with the guitar in the playing position, hold the rule in place along the neck, and apply slight pressure first at one end, then the other. If the ruler "rocks" at all, the neck has a back bow, and a slight easing of the truss-rod is in order... Hope that helps!
Olrocknroller

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”