Jazzmaster build

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Re: Jazzmaster build

Postby olrocknroller » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 am

jfine wrote:Sounds like a cool build, olrocknroller! I wouldn't use a brass nut, though--the strings will hang up in it way too easily and cause tuning problems. There was a big fad for brass parts back in the '70's, and I put a brass nut on my '74 Strat--it never stayed in tune after that. Brass is softer than the strings--they'll wear it out very quickly. Something like a Graph-Tech nut would be my preference--they come in black or white.
ludo--your guitar is gorgeous!

I've just started putting them on my guitars, and haven't encountered those problems...yet. Graph Tech are good, but the open-string ring is definitely better on brass, I may have to go back to them if I run into tuning issues though. Thanks for the heads-up!
Olrocknroller

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:54 am

I agree with Veenture as the bridge, tailpiece, nut-all of this is part of what makes the jazzmaster sound. The body is also larger than other Fender guitars and may affect the sound. The Jazzmaster "soapbar" pickups are unlike other single coil pickups. Jazzmaster pickups are designed different than Gibson's P-90 pickups. Although they look similar, they are constructed differently. Whereas the polepieces of the Jazzmaster pickups are actually magnets, the P-90 has its magnets placed under the coil. The Jazzmaster coil is wound wider and flatter than the P-90. Fender's pickups are usually tall and thin coils. This wider and flatter coil with magnet polepieces gives the unique sound of the Jazzmaster along with the bridge, tailpiece,etc. Change out these items unique to the jazzmaster you change the sound. Many buyers buy the Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster, that has the tailpiece plate moved about an inch closer to the bridge, and find it just doesn't have the original Jazzmaster sound. The pickups of the Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster also are not the same as the original Jazzmaster pickups. They are built like P-90s with a jazzmaster cover. A proper setup on a original Jazzmaster is one of the hardest to do on any guitar but is rewarding if done properly. The bridge breakover angle of the string is extremely critical for the correct amount of tension and tone generation. Many also try to use too light of gauge of string. 11's are best and some players go heavier. Many players use 10's but also have experienced buzzing at the bridge or string jump. Buzzstops are only good for keeping the strings in place when a proper setup is not done or too light of strings are used. Buzzstops also alter the sound in that you sacrifice some of the jangle or ring that is characteristic of the Jazzmaster.

How do I know this? I have owned a wonderful American Jazzmaster for many years. At first I did everything wrong with it as far as strings and sdetups. I then listened to a very good friend that worked for Fender many years ago and knew Leo personally. After listening to him my problems were solved and what a great guitar the Jazzmaster is. Can it take hard stumming. You bet it can-just look at some of the You Tube videos of the Ventures where the guitar is beat to death with hard strumming. It is one of my favorites and most played guitars!

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks MOSDAN. I had my Jaguar set up professionally, and he told me to always keep the bridge pushed back as far as it would rock, and he had set the intonation for that. I confess, I used 10's on it though, and probably should have gone heavier. I agree on it being able to take a beating...just watch Don Wilson playing his Jazzmaster! :shock:

Thanks for the info!
Olrocknroller

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 pm

MOSDAN wrote:The pickups of the Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster also are not the same as the original Jazzmaster pickups. They are built like P-90s with a jazzmaster cover.
Mosdan, would you say the pickups on the Fender AVRI 1962 Jazzmaster come close to the vintage Jazzmaster's? I can't afford a Vintage JM but some of those USA reissues are beckoning to me on ebay :?
-Paul

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Veenture,
It is my understanding the AVRI Jazzmaster is identical to the original Jazzmaster. As far as the pickups go I have compared mine to a AVRI and if you close your eyes you can't tell the difference by just listening. When you get into the Japanese Jazzmater guitars that is where the difference begins. The Japanese guitars are great but they are not the same as the AVRI. Different wiring gauge, different pots, etc. However, I don't know if they use the American Jazzmaster pickup or if they make the pickups in Japan. If you get a AVRI Jazzmaster I'm sure you will be satisfied as long as there is nothing that has been modified or damaged on it. It's kind of like getting a Hallmark instead of the Semi Mosrite.

As a kind of side note if you are looking for great Fender parts try this site: http://angela.com/

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm

The AVRI Jazzmaster pickups are very nice, and tonally indistinguishable from vintage units. Of course, there's a lot more variation in the vintage ones - some sound amazing and some sound, well, not so amazing - whereas the AVRIs are consistently impressive.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks guys -MOSDAN and MWaldorf- for your very helpful reviews.
I'm itchin' to get me a AVRI Jazzmaster and also a reissue Tele ('one day')...and although there's no wife to hold me back, my budget will simply have none of it :roll:
MOSDAN wrote:It's [AVRI Jazzmaster] kind of like getting a Hallmark instead of the Semi Mosrite.
That is one great compliment to Hallmark (I have a H60C, myself) :)

olrocknroller, I hope these reviews may also prove to be helpful to you, in your JM build.

ludobag
Top Producer

Postby ludobag » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:40 pm

just to go more far ;)
even if the avri pups from jazzmaster and jaguar are nice
there is a lot of other brand of pups who sound better
on my cij jag i have mount avri jag pups before to remplace the cij :roll: (cij doesn't sound like a jag must do) and after i have mount a set pickupwizz 62
and WAOu! this pups sond fabullous !really better the avri
i am not surprised a lot cause i have already a set of jazzmaster vintage pickupwizz and it is the same
careful i don't say the avri are bad pups but to know try it
that is what i said on offset guitar
they are different but much more to my taste
more punchy ,warm ect ....
then for some it could be wrong ;)
but now the jazzmaster and jaguar pups choice is difficult too much model on market :shock: :lol:

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:30 pm

As usual, when I think I'm ready to start a project, I discover that there are numerous details I need to consider... :? Too many of my projects ended up on the "reject" wall because I committed the design in ignorance of many tonal, and playability issues. Fortunately, I found this forum, and have reduced my reject pile significantly as a direct result of the information available here. I'm going to re-think this project to try and find ways to get both the tone, and playability I want to achieve, while retaining the wicked Jazzmaster offset body look!

I will start with finding the pickups, or maybe a pickup winder... :roll:
Olrocknroller

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Olrocknroller,
Try the link I gave above for a greast selection of parts and pickups. I'm surprised they even have jazzmaster pickups, however, I don't know if they are jazzmaster look alikes or if they are the proper assembly. Here is the URL again: http://angela.com/

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”