More video fun - "Tri-Armond" Gretsch

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: More video fun - "Tri-Armond" Gretsch

Postby dubtrub » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:07 am

OK, now I want a Gretsch. :shock:

Mel, that combination amp and guitar would sure sound good with the Tsunami Surfers old time rock n' roll that we're now playing. That'd give it 'THE' sound that's missing. In comparison, how does it sound through a Fender amp. No need to demo, just your opinion. :lol:
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:39 pm

dubtrub wrote:OK, now I want a Gretsch. :shock:

Mel, that combination amp and guitar would sure sound good with the Tsunami Surfers old time rock n' roll that we're now playing. That'd give it 'THE' sound that's missing. In comparison, how does it sound through a Fender amp. No need to demo, just your opinion. :lol:

Well, I'd say it sounds more... um... Fender-y?

Dynasonics have a tonal character much more like Mosrite pickups than Fender pickups. Compared to your Jazzmaster Dynasonics will have more mid-range and less top end ice-pick bite. As far as the tonal color of an Ampeg vs. a Fender, the Ampegs don't have the pronounced upper mid-range scoop of the blackface Fenders. To me they sound pretty dull until you turn the treble up high, and then they start to sing. Also, even Geminis top out at 30W so you're looking at an amp that would break up sooner. Of course, that's some of the rock and roll tone there.

I'd say the best way to compare them would be A/B testing in person, which can be arranged... :)

Actually, it would make an interesting demo video to play the same passages on the same guitar changing only the amplifier. Hmmm... One more to add to the "to-do" list!

PS. Marty - the DE tones on the Annie make me giddy the same way the Nokie/Live in Japan tones do with the M3/Meshugga-rite. Suddenly, there's that tone from the records I love!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm

MWaldorf wrote:
dubtrub wrote:
...Actually, it would make an interesting demo video to play the same passages on the same guitar changing only the amplifier. Hmmm... One more to add to the "to-do" list!

PS. Marty - the DE tones on the Annie make me giddy the same way the Nokie/Live in Japan tones do with the M3/Meshugga-rite. Suddenly, there's that tone from the records I love!

Indeed, those are THE tones. I'm curious t'see what other cool geetars you have. The amp comparison is not a bad idear either.
-Marty

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Holy Moly....Mel-Gretsch-Ampeg Gemini I is TONE. Cool tone. I've always wanted one of those Gemini's but they never show up around here.
Very very cool.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:21 am

Great tones on that thing, Mel! So why doesn't Gretsch put out something like that? I'd buy one! And that Ampeg sounds great too--I'm a big fan of 15" speakers for guitar, but the only 1-15" amp I've ever had was a Peavey Renown with a 15" Black Widow that I had in the early-'80's. Sounded good clean (although the dirty channel didn't sound so good), had plenty of power, but unfortunately it weighed a ton. Anyway, keep those videos coming!

mrmomo

Postby mrmomo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:29 am

Mel,
I dig your videos and your vast array of cool guitars, amps and tones!
I love that Duane sound!
I'm also itching to score an original pre-CBS Jazzmaster one of these days and would love to see a Meshugga-master demo.
Keep 'em coming!
-John
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”