A binding problem.

mosman
Top Producer

A binding problem.

Postby mosman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Here's one for all the forum members who have a bit of guitar building knowledge. I have the opportunity to but a Gretsch Monkees model guitar which is in pretty good nick except for some terrible neck binding deterioration from around the 12th fret to the body.

There are some bits missing completely and I've been told by local luthiers/dealers that it's either a relatively easy and inexpensive fix, or a difficult, costly, job which is best avoided altogether. None of them can seem to agree so now I'm throwing it open to you guys.

The owner is asking $1500 Australian for it and I know they fetch $3000 - $4000 US in good condition. I really don't want to be stuck with an ongoing project which is going to keep costing me money.

RIP Davey Jones.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: A binding problem.

Postby Mr. Bill » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Disintegrating binding is a real problem on vintage guitars and there is really no easy fix for it. I can't remember if Gretschs were fretted before or after the binding, but often it's easier to refret the neck at the same time as replacing the binding.

How is the body binding holding up? Rebinding the body will be far more difficult than the neck and if the neck binding is going, you will be doing the body binding eventually.

The tough part is replacing the binding without doing too much damage to the surrounding finish. It takes a lot of patience and talent to scrape down the new binding and not mess up the finish on the wood.

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:00 pm

we could probably give you a better idea if we had some pictures.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Mr Bill you've told me pretty much what a local luthier told me yesterday. I think I'll pass on this one and hang out until something better ( probably never) comes along.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”