Picks

101Volts
Master Contributor

Picks

Postby 101Volts » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:22 pm

What pick(s) do you usually use, If any? I bought two Brass Picks from eBay for $3.49 the other day, I like the tone I get from them; I'm not sure hot describe it well but to me, Plastic picks give a dull and muted sound and my two Brass Picks give more of a full and crisp sound which I like as it adds to the sound of my Ventures II, IMHO.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

eltuce
Top Producer

Re: Picks

Postby eltuce » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Dunlop .88, partially 'cause I have a million of 'em. A little heavier than a standard medium. Plus, they're green and have a turtle on 'em. Two things which help sway my choice. To me they are comfortable and heavy enough without feeling like I might rip a string off.

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Mine grow on the ends of my fingers... From time to time I use a thumb pick...one of Nokie's. I tried the Alaska brand of fingerpicks, but quickly sprouted hangnails all over the place...back to what ma nature gave me, and hoping not to break them too often.

On rare occasions, and for some songs, I use a flat pick, modified with two holes punched in the wide portion at the top, which helps me hang on. ;) Personally, I prefer the "breathy" sound that fingernail-picking produces over the sharper, or crisper sounds of artificial picks.
Olrocknroller

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey, Austin--

Interesting subject!

I was a fingerpicker for years on acoustic guitar and bass, and when I began playing rhythm guitar in bands, I began using picks.

I tried them all, and finally settled on the D'Andrea Pro Plec rounded triangle picks in the 1.5mm thickness. They are controllable and sound good on the D'Addario ECG23 Chrome Extra Light (.010-.048) strings I use on my electric guitars.

I've been reading about these super-expensive ($35 or so apiece, I believe) picks that emulate real tortoiseshell, but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of dough on a guitar pick when I have no real issues with the ones I'm using now.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

motiersbad
Valued Member

Postby motiersbad » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 pm

eltuce wrote:Dunlop .88, partially 'cause I have a million of 'em. A little heavier than a standard medium. Plus, they're green and have a turtle on 'em. Two things which help sway my choice. To me they are comfortable and heavy enough without feeling like I might rip a string off.

Theyre very good. i use them, but the 1.0 Version (blue Tortex), too :)

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 am

I only use picks from steve clayton. you can get them completely customized, material, shape, thickness, and even artwork. And considering, they are pretty cheap too. I use to order them by the gross, but since I don't play out anymore, I'm still going through the last batch I ordered from a few years ago. http://www.steveclayton.com
sorry to sound like a sales guy, I just love these picks.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:19 pm

Thinner pick preferred for strumming, Dunlop .46, heavier for pick for picking, Dunlop .73. Even thinner for a very subtle sound.
I bought one of the pick punches, and make my own out of coffee lids for a very smooth sound on acoustic.
I even trim them for a custom sound.
tried to upload photos but photobucket not working ????

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:28 pm

I was finally able to upload to Photobucket through Email.
here are the shots of homemade picks.

Dan

"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:58 pm

panther wrote:I was finally able to upload to Photobucket through Email.
A little off topic just for a sec. Dan, you can also bypass Photobucket and upload straight from the internet (provided your pic is there) if you prefer.
Right-click on the image (internet) and select "Properties" where you'll find the URL. Highlight the entire URL code so that you can copy & paste it onto your post. Prior to pasting though, you need to select and left-click on "Img", found on the upload toolbar as you prepare your post.
Place the curser in between the two bracketed scripts and paste (right-click). Before submitting your post, "Preview" first for any possible adjustments/alterations to be made. If your image exceeds upload parameters (i.e. too large), the image will not pass the test. If you can not/do not wish to display the image, pasting the URL only can also be useful. Hope this helps.

-Paul

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:16 am

If I am not fingerpicking I use a V-Pick Lite Tradition. The pick is fairly rigid but seems to glide off the strings making hybrid picking very easy to control.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”