Is this wiring possible on a strat?.....

WagonTrain

Is this wiring possible on a strat?.....

Postby WagonTrain » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:14 pm

I want to replace the 5 way switch with a 3 way switch and wire the neck and bridge pickup like a tele. I than want to have either a mini toggle or one of the pots to connect the middle pickup to the bridge pickup in SERIES. Is there any way to do this? Does anyone have a schematic?
Thanks.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: Is this wiring possible on a strat?.....

Postby Mr. Bill » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Yes, that should be fairly simple to do. Wire the neck and bridge just like a tele.

Take the ground wire from the bridge pickup and connect it to the hot of the middle pickup. Take this same connection and either connect it to one side of the toggle switch or to the CCW side of the pot. Then wire the other toggle switch side or the wiper of the pot to ground.

When the switch or the pot grounds the connection between the middle and bridge pickup it will turn off the middle pickup.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:33 pm

I have an aftermarket Strat, that The guy I bought it from modified it in exactly the way you describe. I will open it up and take some photos. I have a small toggle switch on the pickguard.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

WagonTrain

Postby WagonTrain » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks for the info guys.....actually, I'm wondering now if its possible to keep the 5 way switch and have position 2 be the middle and bridge in series and position 4 be the bridge and neck. That would give me the combinations I want plus the middle alone. Someone told me its impossible to do series on the 5 way switch.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 am

Wagon train;
If you check this site out, they have every possible wiring combination. Scroll down pick your instrument and type wiring, they provide a diagram. And it's free.
Dan

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

WagonTrain

Postby WagonTrain » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks a lot Dan. I'm fairly new to strats and just getting into exploring all the wiring tricks and mods. That link seems like just what I needed. I just can't get into the 2 and 4 positions and wanna try some alternatives. Thanks a lot.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”