Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:12 am

After reading Duane's post, I kept on thinking of this Princeton amp days and nights. I have had two 65 RI Twin Reverb before but sold both of them because it is way too powerful and too heavy for me. What I am looking for is a light weight Amp with vintage "quiet" clean tone that I can play surf and country at home. I ought to try this amp out...:?

None of the local guitar stores (Guitar Center & Sam Ash etc) have this PR 65 RI in stock. Strangely enough, I found this model at my normal electronics store; Best Buy (Their new guitar department is much better than G.C. or Sam Ash) and I got to try it out in their demo room (Economy must be bad, not too many people there on Saturday morning, so I have the whole sound room for myself...) :)

Boy! the sound is so clean and quiet! it is surly the vintage tone I am looking for. Great reverb and tremolo. 15 watts is perfect for me. The weight is manageable for a 60+ old man.. I have also tried the more powerful Deluxe Reverb there but like this Princeton much better. So, I decide to go for it... :D

Now the bad news! Fender has increased the pricing by 30% just two months ago. (I guess the management at Fender do not read Wall Street Journal and have no idea that the economy is not doing well..) This amp is more than $1000 on line and $999 + tax at Best Buy... :o

Best Buy are willing to offer further discount but still much higher than the old price.. They said they can't sell it at the old price even they have the old inventory, or they would get into trouble with Fender... So I hesitated and left. :(

Yesterday, I talked to my buddy at the other local store who is a Fender dealer and nice enough to help me out by selling this amp to me at cost. (He probably made a lot money from the guitars I bought from him. It's nice to have good contacts) I should get it in a few weeks when he receives the new stock from Fender. Can't wait to own this one. :lol:

Thanks again, Duane for your great report.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:01 am

Desert Surfer,
I see old stock Fender guitars for sale online still at the old prices. I think the Best Buy sales guy was trying to pull a fasty.
I've heard glowing reports on the Princeton Reverb RIs. The first of them out had some rattling issues at high volume, but the problem has been corrected on newer ones, so you might be better off getting it through your buddy.
-Strat-o

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:24 am

Congrats Vincent!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks Trent and Mel: Order was placed this morning and I will keep my fingers cross and get a good one!

Trent, you probably right. I don't trust those big retailers anymore. The small stores take much better care of their customers. I don't play in high volume to get distorted sound. So hopefully it will not be an issue.

My buddy offered me $785 out of door (included tax). Do I get a great deal? How much they are selling the old stock on line for?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Great buy Vincent (and Duane), congrats. You guys have a great tube amp there!

In Holland this baby would now set you back 999 euros (= US$ 1,325.00) and that's at a discount too!
My other amp is a Princeton too (65 watts, 12 inch speaker, spring reverb) from the late ninety’s and although not a tube amp, it has a terrific clean channel. Almost traded it in for my new Pro tube Custom Vibrolux Reverb RI but didn’t and so ended up having two amps! :lol: During this time the Princeton 65 RI had not been issued yet, otherwise it would most certainly have been an option on my 'needs list'.

Enjoy!

dellison

Postby dellison » Fri May 01, 2009 8:58 pm

Sweet! Sounds like you got a great deal, and nothing is better than a great piece of new gear - at at great price!

Man I am really happy with mine and it is a blast to play with. I actually spent about an hour playing with it through my BOSS GT-10 just playing around and even that's pretty cool. I love the fact that it is easy to move from spot to spot and doesn't take up too much space. I hope you are really happy with it when you get it!

About those new Fender prices though, that is still one thing I just don't get. I'm with you though, had I not grab the deal when I did I wouldn't buy one right now because of the high price.

Please make sure you post your experience (and pictures) when you get yours!

Duane...

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri May 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks Duane:

I can't wait either. It should arrive next week at my dealer but unfortunately I will be out of town for a week after Tuesday and wont get to play it until I come back on 5/14. I will share the photos with everyone then.

dellison

Postby dellison » Tue May 12, 2009 4:34 pm

You know, I hadn't realized just how long of a wait this was going to be! I keep waiting to hear how it turned out but we still have to wait a few more days!!!

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 12, 2009 5:36 pm

dellison wrote:You know, I hadn't realized just how long of a wait this was going to be! I keep waiting to hear how it turned out but we still have to wait a few more days!!!

My dealer told me the Amp has arrived at the store two days ago but I am still in Vegas. I am going back tomorrow and will pick it up tomorrow night. Will give you a test report on Thursday night.

Thanks for asking. I can't wait either.

Best,
Vincent

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Thu May 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Duane: I picked up the PR 65 RI Amp last night and played a little tonight. It is very nice. Very clean and with great reverb. I will have to do a detailed report on Sunday as I am so tied up with the after trip works and I am tired. Sorry for the delay.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”