Found! Another 'Tri-Powered Mo!'

Dennisthe Menace

Found! Another 'Tri-Powered Mo!'

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:01 am

Hey Mel, ya' got company,
and I think she's a USA lefty!!... :mrgreen:

make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

JohnnySonic
Top Producer

Re: Found! Another 'Tri-Powered Mo!'

Postby JohnnySonic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:51 pm

Ahh the Hellacopters! :) Homeland heroes of mine. Funny! I bought some Hellacopters records today, and came home to find this thread!

I am a Hellacopters fanatic, and pretty much anything else that Nicke Andersson (the mosrite-swinging lead singer) ever did. He's an amazing guy. He's done everything from Rock to Soul to Death Metal (the only thing he does that I don't really pay any attention to).

The three pickup black beauty in this clip however, is a replica built by Tim from Tym Guitars. Tim has also built this cool Mosrite inspired guitar for him.

Hehe. Like a Mosrite version of a LP Junior. But with a mini humbucker. Tym also did a Johnny Ramone style Mark II with humbuckers for him.

Nicke has used a few Mosrites in the past and has said in interviews that "I find it hard not to like Mosrite guitars. There’s just something about them".

This white one I've heard might be another TYM replica. But I'm not sure.
But he's also played a "real" Mosrite! A super custom 65 from black cloud I believe, As seen most vividly in this video at 0:44 and 2:08.

This concludes my most monstrous and nerd-fueled forum post so far. Thanks for listening. :D
"If you can hear it, you can play it".
- Fred "Sonic" Smith

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Cool! Interestingly, there's another VIII that was for sale in sweden, but right handed. If I remember correctly, there was a fellow from Sweden who ordered 50 of these from Mosrite and brought them back to Scandanavia. Maybe this is one of those?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

JohnnySonic
Top Producer

Postby JohnnySonic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:27 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Cool! Interestingly, there's another VIII that was for sale in sweden, but right handed. If I remember correctly, there was a fellow from Sweden who ordered 50 of these from Mosrite and brought them back to Scandanavia. Maybe this is one of those?

Wow. I've never heard of that. But it would be amazing if 50 of these are still around in Scandinavia. I'm going to a guitar show here in Sweden tomorrow, I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled. :)
"If you can hear it, you can play it".
- Fred "Sonic" Smith

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:50 pm

JohnnySonic wrote:
MWaldorf wrote:Cool! Interestingly, there's another VIII that was for sale in sweden, but right handed. If I remember correctly, there was a fellow from Sweden who ordered 50 of these from Mosrite and brought them back to Scandanavia. Maybe this is one of those?

Wow. I've never heard of that. But it would be amazing if 50 of these are still around in Scandinavia. I'm going to a guitar show here in Sweden tomorrow, I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled. :)

I found the original source of this info, Strat-o-rama, posting in the thread about my VIII build:
http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=112&hilit=viii&start=18
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:51 am

Mel wrote:
>>another VIII that was for sale in sweden . . .

That's a formidable-looking guitar. I wonder how those controls work?

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Elliot Easton

Postby Elliot Easton » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:19 am

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1984_Mosr ... NC129S.jpg

mel does your guitar have no pickguard? that's the meanest lookin' mosrite i think i've ever seen! davie allen would love it!
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:52 am

Elliot Easton wrote:mel does your guitar have no pickguard? that's the meanest lookin' mosrite i think i've ever seen! davie allen would love it!

Mine is pickguard free, as seen below with the rest of my Mosrite gang. The whole story of my VIII adventure is chronicled here:
http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=112
I got it together and playing, and Dubtrub was kind enough to spray the amazing burst finish (the double neck he built from scratch).
The switching on the VIII is on/off/on so you can get in/out of phase tones. Pickups are Ed Elliot's excellent repros. Some pretty interesting sounds in there, thin and boinky. By comparison, the MeshuggaRite, to the right of the VIII, has dual output level pickups from M3 with hi/off/low switching. More subtle differences in the tones, but cops a Fendery tone really well. Glad to have them both at my disposal! :)

Elliot Easton

Postby Elliot Easton » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:08 pm

that 1st one is a mean lookin' rail! they all look great though! :)
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:50 am

Elliot Easton wrote:that 1st one is a mean lookin' rail! they all look great though! :)

Thanks! They're all great guitars and I feel lucky to have them. The VIII is a rail, all business like a tri-power Pontiac GTO or a Dodge Dart 440. The MeshuggaRite has the power, but some fancy looks and creature comforts too, like an Oldmobile 442 W-30 or Buick GSX. The double neck would probably be a '57 Cadillac convertible. The '66, a vintage thoroughbred like a Duesenberg.

You know, you could probably swap a lefty vibrato on a VIII, that would be something!

Return to “Music Related”