The Ventures or The Shadows and Why?

MozRite

The Ventures or The Shadows and Why?

Postby MozRite » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:11 am

One doesn't have to like one and not the other but which stands out more to you as a band? I love both but The Ventures win, if I had to chose which I don't but for discussion purposes I take The Ventures. Love Hank Marivn, he was the original spy sounding guitarist while Dick Dale who started the whole surf craze was more like a punk rocker and aggressive as all heck. Then move to The Ventures they have many eras, Fender, Mosrite, then back to Fender and into old age they got really safe and "mellow" for lack of better term. Hank Marvin still remains a favorite of mine but I have to go with The Ventures with the over the top sounds they got when they went with Mosrite and got to be aggressive which I believe Mosrite helped provoke in them.

The Shads or The Ventures? You make the call ...
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

Tronman

Re: The Ventures or The Shadows and Why?

Postby Tronman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:14 am

I'll go with the Ventures, but probably because I grew up with them and during that time, I hadn't yet heard of the Shadows.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Guitar
Martin DM Guitar
Hallmark 65 Custom Bass

MozRite

Postby MozRite » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:28 am

Tronman wrote:I'll go with the Ventures, but probably because I grew up with them and during that time, I hadn't yet heard of the Shadows.

True, The Shadows were virtually unknown in the US back then and even to this day. Yes some people know of them but to me I didn't learn about them until about 1996 when I saw them in some guitar magazine talking about them and Hank Marvin. Then I went out and bought a CD by them and really enjoyed them and became a fan, but The Ventures I knew about 1985 while a senior in high school.
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1969 Firstman Avenger Mark 1
2007 Fillmore Mosrite Mark 1
1964 Gretsch Country Club
1962 Kay Swingmaster
2003 Fender Jazzmaster AVRI
2015 Fender Classic Player '60s Strat
1999 Danelectro Mod 6
2002 Tokai Jumbo Acoustic

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:22 am

The Ventures, but I also liked the Shadows.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:36 pm

I really wonder about "choosing" one artist, or group over another. I don't think there has ever been an artist I followed, and "LOVED" everything they did! All the musicians from my era did numbers I liked, then would turn around and do several in the "meh!" category. Consequently, I have followed numerous artists, in all genres, and pick and choose my favorite numbers from each of them... 8-) Consequently, I was really happy to see online music shopping that allowed me to purchase only my favorites rather than entire albums for two songs each!
Olrocknroller

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:34 am

I agree, only a few choice songs per group. The on exception was the Beatles, very few of their songs I did not care for. The Ventures just seem to be more well known, then were the shadows..

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Return to “Music Related”