WW II fighters and guitars

mosriteer

Re: WW II fighters and guitars

Postby mosriteer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Haole Jim wrote:A while ago, 'was chatting jive with a chum who is also a serious guitar lover and WW II historian...

...we kind of came up with a few WW II fighter / electric guitar analogies.

Reproduced here for your amusement.

Stratocaster---P-51 Mustang; famous beyond all others, the ultimate thoroughbred, can do it all, plenty of variants and colour schemes

Les Paul---P-47 Thunderbolt; heavy but powerful, fast and agile, recognizable, respected

Telecaster---P-40 Tomahawk / Kittyhawk / Warhawk; not as modern or sexy as some, simple, utilitarian, but was "there first" and soldiers on faithfully, a number of variants but basically all the same-ish, brilliant in the hands of a competent "pilot"

ES-335---F4U Corsair, big, elegant, fast, a hands-full, capable in every way

6120 "Country Gentleman"---F6F Hellcat; big, heavy, not as glam or sexy as some, but been there a lot and has a sterling record of accomplishment, mighty in the right hands

Fender VI---Mosquito VI; not as well known as the smaller ones, big, versatile, powerful, but still curvy and sexy

Gibson EDS-1275 Double 6-12---Beaufighter; big, powerful, instantly recognizable, fearsome in the hands of an expert

Mosrite Mk I---Spitfire XIV; the ultimate fighter plane hotrod, huge "engine" in small, sexy airframe

Too bad that the ME 109. FW 190 and the Me 262 dont get any mention here. The ME 109 qualifies as another staple, perhaps another parallel to the Tele: it did chalk up the kills (hits, that is). The FW 190 with its big radial and deep throb would be a Jazzmaster and the Me 262 will be the Travis Bean aluminum neck guitars - way ahead of its time.

-Kanad

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:24 am

Nah, the axis planes were more like the neighbors who try to use local noise ordinances, police complaints and general harassment to get you to turn down.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:05 pm

When we did the analogies, the decision was made to not go with Axis airplanes.

For one thing, the guitars we were analogizing were "English-speaking" and for another, in this historian's mind, while stuff like the Bf 109, FW 190 and Me 262 do possess some interesting aesthetics and technical qualities, their being invented and used by a power which was so evil "did not belong" with the spirit of guitars, which are hopefully, tools of expression, creativity and joy.

Return to “Off Topic”