The Wrath of Irene

GattonFan
Master Contributor

The Wrath of Irene

Postby GattonFan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Just a note to say that after having watched some of the footage of the hurricane, all you good folks on the eastern seaboard are in our thoughs and prayers. You all stay safe.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: The Wrath of Irene

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Yes indeed!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

eltuce
Top Producer

Postby eltuce » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Knock wood. I think we'll be ok. My biggest worry is the gigantic old tree next to our house. We moved the cars but I'm more concerned about us, the cats, and the guitars. If anything hits the driveway it's most likely going to nail the house.

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Hey--

We're in hunker down mode just outside DC.

Earlier in the week, we had a nice beach cottage rented on Emerald Isle, NC, but they evacuated us off the island late Thursday afternoon. Just as well; we were going back and forth as to whether we should stay and ride it out or go back home. That island, oddly enough, is just about where Irene made its landfall this morning.

We've had a lot of rain today but not as much wind as I expected. This seems to be a very slow-moving storm compared to other hurricanes I've seen.

Our main concern now is whether we lose power, and, if so, for how long.

Be safe, all!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

eltuce
Top Producer

Postby eltuce » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Generally I do prepare for the worst but for the most part the media hypes these things up like crazy. Right now it seems we're all more annoyed that we've been hearing about it for days and have barely even seen rain yet. Ever since Katrina and 9/11 everyone goes a bit nuts. Stop and Shop was a nuthouse yesterday. Long lines, empty shelves. I was just going for my usual Friday fixin's and it took me forever to get out of there. Already stocked up on beer, kitty litter, bread, milk, coffee, and water for the week on Monday 'cause that's just what I do. Food never seems to be an issue here so we're all set. I predict a power outage, which at worst is just an inconvenience. HAHA, still keeping an eye on that tree as I do every time it rains.

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:31 pm

"Generally I do prepare for the worst but for the most part the media hypes these things up like crazy."

Man do I agree with that! It's like when they say a huge snow storm is on the way and we could get six or eight inches of snow. I won't even break out the shovel for that ,never mind the snow blower. :lol:

Return to “Off Topic”