ARGH!!!

KRamone27
Master Contributor

ARGH!!!

Postby KRamone27 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:28 pm

This really ticks me off. I was cutting out the set of working templates for a build I'm working on the blade flies off the wheels. I try putting the blade back on and go through the tracking then I see this.

So as a result of this all current projects are put on hold. It looks like it's made of cheap pot metal and IF Porter Cable is back ordered then I might have to have a machine shop CNC a new one which I think will be stronger.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Re: ARGH!!!

Postby zarfnober » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 pm

FWIW, I have 2 PC routers and a PC router table, I will never buy one again. In a day when you have everything CNC machined, there is no excuse for a router to fit crooked in it's base. And when bolted to the router table, it is literally at an angle, visible to blind people when viewed from the side. Next to impossible to get a clean radius. Oh well.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Ugh. If it makes you feel better, I bought a Dremel Saw-Max to use for a project this weekend where I needed to cut both wood and steel. The wood cuts were all skewed and when I went to cut the steel, in the midst of all the sparks smoke starts pouring out of the thing. Sparks melting the plastic housing? What a P.O.S. Back it went.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:12 pm

I apply the "How often will I use this, and how hard will I use it" filter to my tools. High price isn't necessarily the determining factor in tool quality though... I do quite a bit of research before buying a tool that I will use a lot, even if it delays a project while I save my pennies. ;) That said though, I've fallen into the trap of buying something for one or two easy jobs, liking what it does, and breaking it on the first "tough" job... :evil:
Olrocknroller

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Called Porter cable and the part is on its way woo hoo! I've never had any problem with any of my porter cable tools this was the first time anything has broke so I guess I'm lucky. Mel I hope the dremel had a warranty ;)

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:23 pm

i broke my bandsaw blade a few days ago cutting a template when I forgot to put the guide down low. that was freaky. any-who, got a new blade and it's up and working again. got a blade with a high tooth count. it cuts like butta now :D
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Got the part yesterday and putting it in tonight. Problem solved.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:25 pm

I didn't get a chance the other night to put the part in but I did today and got it tracking correctly. I was cutting a basswood body today and the blade is really dull as a result of flying off the wheel and hitting other metal parts but got the body cut any way. So a new blade is in my near future.

Return to “Off Topic”