Have any of you travelled with your Mosrite?

Hydra19
Valued Member

Have any of you travelled with your Mosrite?

Postby Hydra19 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:36 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone ever took their neck off the guitar when travelling? I have done this on a couple of occasions with a MIJ Jaguar but now I have a problem of not being able to get my Mosrite back with me.

I unfortunately live in the UK, and unfortunately I'm flying Virgin who don't care about musicians. I was told I have absolutely no other choice but to put it in the hold, they won't even let me buy an extra seat for it.

I enquired to Parcelforce but they say they won't pick it up in the US, and it seems to universe is conspiring to make me move to the USA, for a Mosrite I will!

But the easiest option would be to take the neck off and wrap everything with bubble wrap and clothes. Is that blasphemy? What other options do I have? Is there anyone like Parcelforce in the UK that will pick my guitar up in the USA and ship it safely to the UK?

For all those that have managed to get the guitars on the plane, I'm really happy for you but that will never happen to me, I'm usually never given the benefit of the doubt.

Any advice would be appreciated, I have assured Virgin not to fly with them ever again and have made a comment on the irony of Richard Branson treating musicians this way, thank you!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Have any of you travelled with your Mosrite?

Postby Greg_L » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:15 am

Please forgive me, but I don't really understand your problem. Are you flying to the US to buy a Mosrite and take it back to the UK with you? If so, does it not have a hardcase?

One thing I've read about people doing, keep in mind I've only read about this, is to be extra nice to the flight staff and ask very politely if you can put your guitar in their employees only on-board coat closet. It seems silly, but maybe that would work?

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:55 pm

yeah, I'm going to the US for holidays and have bought a vintage mosrite for christmas. I enquired and they told me it's a full flight and there's no space for it so it has to go in the cargo. I will most likely take the neck off and carry it as onboard luggage

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Hydra19 wrote:yeah, I'm going to the US for holidays and have bought a vintage mosrite for christmas. I enquired and they told me it's a full flight and there's no space for it so it has to go in the cargo. I will most likely take the neck off and carry it as onboard luggage

Man, that's a bummer. Good luck. Not to make you worry further, but be prepared for some questions and delays as that thing goes through the X-ray machines. I don't imagine the flunkees that work security get too many disassembled guitars pass through their lines. They'll probably think it's a bomb. :o

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:56 am

Can't you have the place you bought it from ship it to you via UPS or FedEx? Sounds like paying the extra money sounds better than dealing with the hassle of trying to get it aboard the plane. Or try another airline that can accommodate you.

Or another option is when you arrive in the US and acquire the guitar. Pack that sucker really well and ship it home.

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:22 am

I've traveled with mine from Seattle to Luxembourg when I bought it in 2006. We were flying from Seattle to Portland to Luxembourg.
We first had a small propeller-driven-aircraft for the way between Seattle and Portland. After that it was a Lufthansa Boeing something.
I just reduced the string tension (which wasn't really necessary) and wrapped the hardcase up with duct tape which has been opened by US customs again.
But they were nice enough to put some new tape around it. So I just crossed fingers and everything went well. Oh, the airport staff put some red 'fragile' stickers on the case. When we went to get our luggage in Luxembourg it came out first, so I suppose they really put it on top of everything else.
I totally agree with Greg. Be nice to the staff! They CAN help you. I told them to please handle it with care and they did.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:18 am

Haha yeah, people in service positions have a thankless, high-aggravation-factor job. Dealing with other humans day in and day out can really take it's toll on the human psyche. A little kindness really makes their day and can work to your benefit. Being kind is being selfish....whoda thunk it? :lol:

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 pm

SanchoPansen wrote:I've traveled with mine from Seattle to Luxembourg when I bought it in 2006. We were flying from Seattle to Portland to Luxembourg.
We first had a small propeller-driven-aircraft for the way between Seattle and Portland. After that it was a Lufthansa Boeing something.
I just reduced the string tension (which wasn't really necessary) and wrapped the hardcase up with duct tape which has been opened by US customs again.
But they were nice enough to put some new tape around it. So I just crossed fingers and everything went well. Oh, the airport staff put some red 'fragile' stickers on the case. When we went to get our luggage in Luxembourg it came out first, so I suppose they really put it on top of everything else.
I totally agree with Greg. Be nice to the staff! They CAN help you. I told them to please handle it with care and they did.

I got a horror story that is the complete opposite of yours. I still have the case with the red FRAGILE stickers. I'm amazed the guitar that was in it survived because the airline managed to destroy the Fender SKB molded plastic guitar case. They even managed to puncture a hole through the side of it.

Return to “Off Topic”