Forum Update

dubtrub
Administrator

Forum Update

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:14 am

Hey everybody,

Wanted to give you an update on the forum progress since it went into the rejuvenation mode on May 14th. I went on Facebook and joined three Mosrite groups in an effort to promote and restart this forum with a bunch of "likes" and comments in support. This resulted in 19 new members joining but to this date on two of those new members have posted anything and 17 that joined and have never revisited this website.

To give you an idea of the PIA it is to monitor new member registration, each and every IP address and email address has to be manually searched and checked against several areas on the internet for spam or as fictitious. Numerous spammers are registering daily and only about one in twenty are legitimate users that can pass the spam test. It takes the enjoyment out of monitoring the forum. Basically it simply is not worth the effort. For now Mel Waldorf will keep paying the expensive of hosting the website but it will no longer be monitored.

My plan was to monitor the forums progress for three weeks and decide then if it was worth the effort to keep it open to new members or close it again for new registration and let it remain as a 'read only' to the public page. Those members that are already in will still be able to continue posting but my hopes for rejuvenating the forum have faded. So, effective Monday June 6, this forum will be closed for new registrations.

It's been a fun ride since I started this forum in 2008 but honestly it has ran it's course. Thank you all for the years of participation and being a Mosrite friend.

Danny
Danny Ellison

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Forum Update

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:49 am

Well, shoot! Is this a limitation of the software? Can it be migrated to a more user friendly software such as WordPress?
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

dunlop

Postby dunlop » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:59 pm

Danny,
So sorry its such an effort. Spammers take the joy out of a lot of things! My hope is there a a solution out there as this has been a great forum.
Lisa

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:00 pm

Just to reiterate, the forum is NOT closing down. It will remain active for those that are already registered members to continue participating, it just will not be open for new registration. Anyone that is truly interested in joining and participating can always send an email and request to join the forum.
Danny Ellison

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:10 pm

Thanks, Danny and Mel for the effort. It was a great experience for me and I’ll continue to check in on the Forum.
So many guitars; So little time ..

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:51 pm

Hopefully one day there will be enough interest in this forum again! Thanks for all of the work and keeping this place up, there is a lot of invaluable information on here.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:21 pm

As annoying and dumb as spam can be, the IP blocking is making it difficult for me (and probably many others who have come here for years without spamming) to post or reply at all. I'll have something written up, then not be able to post it for hours because my IP's blocked. I then have to wait for my IP to change to something that works before I can reply to anything. Today, I had a serial number list reply for the Serenade models written up since about 10:30 AM EST, and I couldn't reply any time I tried from then up to nearly 11:30. I then went to grocery stores, and once I came home, I able to post at 2:10 PM.

Considering that registration's not open here except by eMail, I have a question. As a member who's been here since March 2009, I come here frequently to add newly found guitars to the various serial number lists. Would you consider making me a moderator so I could delete spam too, and then you might forego the IP blocking? I'm not sure how else to go about this, there are likely better ways than I'm aware of, though.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Gonkulator

Postby Gonkulator » Wed May 10, 2023 11:52 am

Yeah I have also had trouble posting because the IP address is blocked.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:50 pm

Gonkulator wrote:Yeah I have also had trouble posting because the IP address is blocked.

Posting for actual members should be better now. I've been having issues posting in the eBay section, but not for IP Blocking reasons.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:29 am

Posting has been a problem for me too. I'm getting some alert that my IP is spammy or something.

Return to “Off Topic”