Markings on the neck, or neck pocket?

Slippery fingers

Markings on the neck, or neck pocket?

Postby Slippery fingers » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:16 am

Dennis told me that there was a set of washers that I needed for the neck bolts on my Mosrite on ebay, and I just won them last night. Now I've heard that on some Mosrites there could be names and or dates written on the neck heel, or the neck pocket, if this is true is it worth it to take the guitar to someone who is used to working on vintage guitars like The Chicago Music Exchange, or Rock in Roll Village, and have them pull off the neck to see if anything is written on the neck or pocket ? Or is it better off just to replace the screws, and leave the neck alone? I guess what Im asking is, is there a chance something could go wrong by takeing the neck off a guitar that old?
Paul :)
If it's worth doin, it's worth doin right!

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Markings on the neck, or neck pocket?

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:11 am

Slippery fingers wrote:Dennis told me that there was a set of washers that I needed for the neck bolts on my Mosrite on ebay, and I just won them last night. Now I've heard that on some Mosrites there could be names and or dates written on the neck heel, or the neck pocket, if this is true is it worth it to take the guitar to someone who is used to working on vintage guitars like The Chicago Music Exchange, or Rock in Roll Village, and have them pull off the neck to see if anything is written on the neck or pocket ? Or is it better off just to replace the screws, and leave the neck alone? I guess what Im asking is, is there a chance something could go wrong by takeing the neck off a guitar that old?
Paul :)

Paul, there's ALWAYS a chance something can go wrong, ESPECIALLY if the repair guy is not familiar with the mosrites. Just about all of the Mo's have to have the Neck P'up removed to have SAFE ACCESS to removing the neck. If all you are trying to do is find out what year she is, I would start first by checking to see if the original pots are still in there. If so, that will give you a darn close proximity of when the guitar was built. OR, post some pix up, and we'll look at her... :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”