Truss rod pictures/repair?

drbassman

Re: Truss rod pictures/repair?

Postby drbassman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:21 am

Got back a day late, I'll post some answers tonight when I get home from work.

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:25 pm

MWaldorf wrote:What are the dimensions of the factory Mosrite truss rod? In particular I'm curious about the width and height, as opposed to the length. What is the diameter of the lower rod and the upper square rod? What's the thread? 10-32? 10-24? Also, some pictures of the nut used would be great.

I ask this as I tried to install a stewmac truss rod (7/32" wide by 14/32" tall) in my parts-rite and it wouldn't fit. I know the current truss rod I have is 3/16" x 6/16" fits. Is the stock rod any bigger?

The bass of the truss rod is 1/4" wide and 5/16" high. The top is 1/4" wide and 11/32" high. The nut looks like a Ric one, tall and narrow and has the same threads as a Gibson rod nut.

The rods from the foreign guy Dubtrub (I think it was him) mentioned in a previous post sounded like they'd fit the standard Mosrite rod channel since its 1/4" by 3/8". I found rods that will fit also at an eBay seller I've used before. Here's a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Action-20-Guit ... 911.c0.m14

I'm gonna try one just for the heck of it and fix the original as well as a back up if this one works.

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:33 am

Added a picture of the nut...........

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:03 am

Thanks for the pictures - the deeper/taller nut makes sense; I wound up using a coupling nut (a bit longer than what you've got) as a standard nut wouldn't hold. Also interesting, I'm pretty sure the channel in my partsrite neck is 7/32" not 1/4" wide.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

It's possible I mis-measured mine. I used a precision ruler, but my eyes aren't what they used to be.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:58 pm

I can see the truss rod being a bit bigger on a bass. I do believe that is what we are talking about. Of course I could also be wrong.
By the way drbassman where in western NY are you. I live in central NY just out of Cortland.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:20 pm

sleeperNY wrote:I can see the truss rod being a bit bigger on a bass. I do believe that is what we are talking about. Of course I could also be wrong.
By the way drbassman where in western NY are you. I live in central NY just out of Cortland.

Jim

The rod measures .25" wide with calipers. The channel is .258".

I'm in Churchville, just west of Rochester.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:29 am

You aren't that far from me, maybe 2 1/2 hours away. I have been to the House Of Guitars on several occasions.
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:37 am

sleeperNY wrote:You aren't that far from me, maybe 2 1/2 hours away. I have been to the House Of Guitars on several occasions.

Yep, I'm a regular there! Not the neatest place (could use a good cleaning), but their selection of guitars is amazing. They've got a Mosrite Celebrity bass I'd love to have but they won't part with it for a reasonable price. I'm happy with my recent acquisition anyway, I made out just fine!

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”