CELEBRITY BASS UPDATE-No Luck Finding Parts. . . . .dang it!

sycamoregrove

CELEBRITY BASS UPDATE-No Luck Finding Parts. . . . .dang it!

Postby sycamoregrove » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:49 pm

Well, I chatted with both Artie from Front Porch Music and Ed Roman in Vegas today. . . . and I'm SOL. Neither had any parts for Mosrite Basses, and Artie didn't have an early Celebrity to give me a tracing from the pickguard.

Ed only has parts for Ventures style solid body 6 strings. We talked about the ins and outs of making repro Duck Foot bass tuning pegs, but he doesn't think it worth the tooling, since he doesn't sell many basses. I said I thought there were a number of bass owners out there that would pay a pretty high price even for repros, since there's no other peg available anywhere. . . . but I don't think he's interested.

Tymguitars has the bass with the pickguard I need a tracing from, but they haven't returned my emails yet. I may be reduced to enlarging the pic they've posted and doing my best with that.

T & R had a great looking tortoise shell guard on their site, but the tortoise shell guards I've seen on their Ebay store don't look nearly as authentic. . . . but I may have little choice, so i'll probabaly order from them.

I enlarged and re-inked the logo to send to the waterslide decal guy. I also enlarged the The Ventures logo and used it as a model to do a new logo with my ex-girlfriend's name in the same lettering style. It looks great along with the 'model' script. The 'of California' was kinda murky looking, so I may give it another try, but it all looks pretty sharp.

I haven't looked in my parts drawer to see if I still have the chrome bridge cover yet. I used to have two of those. I know I've got at least a couple of the toggle switch tops around. The bridge I've got is a cheap Japanese copy, but I might be able to make do with it, if not i may end up using an Eko/Vox bridge I've got.

I used to have a tracing of the truss rod cover around, but I'll have to have a look.

I still have a couple of pickup covers with the rings. . . .but I don't know which pickup guts to shove in there, maybe a couple of Ric copies i've got. . . we'll see.

The refinish is worrying me more than anything else, I hope my guy knows how to strip a finish without melting off all the original binding. . . I'm gonna have to have a long talk with him.

Hmmmm, i nearly fprgot about the dang string spacer/nut thingy. . . I'll have to make one outta brass stock, as i had no luck finding one of those either. Ed Roman's got those, but only for the 6 strings.

Anyhow, it was nice of Ed and Artie to take the time to talk to me.

darn. . . . . . . why doesn't some Japanese fanatic sell Duck Foot peg knock offs?!!

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Re: CELEBRITY BASS UPDATE-No Luck Finding Parts. . . . .dang it!

Postby GattonFan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:59 am

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:03 am

BEWARE!! The ONE in this PIC...is BROKEN!!!!
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:00 am

Subject: Vintage Mosrite Book

DGW wrote:I have a copy that I'll (reluctantly) let go, but there's a catch. You have to help me find a duckfoot tuning machine in good condition. Consider it a finder's fee, because I won't charge you anything for it, other than shipping cost.

Don't post this here for everyone to see. :shock: I sent DGW this link as a finders fee so I can buy his Vintage Mosrite book. :lol:
Danny Ellison

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 am

OooopS ... Maybe he'll be so happy to get them, he'll send it to ya anyway.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”