Project Mosrite in the works

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Re: Project Mosrite in the works

Postby sleeperNY » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:18 am

I am looking for some info on screw sizes that I need.
Tuner screws
Neck screws
Pickup surround screws
Pick guard screws
I checked some on line stores but they don't give the size by number. I am headed to the store today for these items as well as a camera.
I also plan on having a page on my web sight about bringing to life this Mosrite project.
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:34 am

Update on my Mosrite project.

I spent most of Sat. and Sun. working on the guitar and made good progress. All the finish has been removed. The finish didn't look good at all in person and the wood wasn't ready for it at all. I had to rework the carving some and the body carving is now more like it should be from the 60's.

The neck was almost finished but did need some smoothing out. I did lay a straight edge on it and it is flat but I may need to do some fret work on it. A few frets may be filed to low on the bass side but time will tell. I have also decided to bolt the neck on to aid in future work should anything need to be done. I made a new neck bolt bracket out of aluminum to help cut down on chroming. The Vibromute that I got is all drilled and taped unlike the the one in the original pic. I got so that helps.

I have taken some pics. but they are on a regular camera so I will have to wait to post any.
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:49 am

New update!!!!!
After many hours of fun the guitar does play. I have everything together and am quite happy with the results so far. The neck needs a small amount of work on about 3 frets but that is with only 1/16th clearance at the 12th fret. The intonation seems to be off for some reason even though I measured it many times and it is right on with the scale length. The high E intonates out at the center of the bridge and I run out of room at the low E so I may need to move it back about 3/16th to fix that. I also don't care much for the bridge and may replace it with a Hallmark bridge. I'll try the one off my Hallmark first. The guitar sounds great except for the front pickup is to low in power and I will have to exchange it. It only has half the power as the rear and reads out at about 2.00 and that is just not going to cut it. The rear measures out at just over 9 and sounds great. I replaced the nut on the truss rod with one that uses an allen wrench that is much easer to use and setup. The bearings for the tail piece were a lot of fun getting. I checked with some local auto parts jobbers here and found that although they could get them they wanted around $50.00 a piece for them. I found them on line for just under $7.00 each.

I have taken some pictures but haven't gotten them developed as yet. I will have a complete rundown on my web page when I get them.

On a side note I did get a letter with the parts signed by Nokie Edwards telling that they were indeed genuine Mosrite parts.

http://www.ridgeroadramblers.com/Mosrite-project.html

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:55 am

Jim, Sounds like you're getting close to putting her onstage .
Can't wait to see the new pix on your Website ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:28 am

I finished the painting yesterday and everything is looking good. I now have to wait a few days before sanding and buffing but there doesn't look like there will be all that much as the paint came out smooth with no orange peel in it. I will use 1500 grit to start with and finish with 2000 grit paper. There is a spot on the back that where the red must have spit a bit and I didn't see it until after I was spraying the clear but I thought it just helps identify it should someone steal it. Been down that road with a friend that had over $50000.00 worth of guitars and some other stuff stolen from his house when he was in the hospital. We recovered some but not as much as we would have liked. He lost many guitars that would be hard to replace. I did paint it with Acrylic Urethane because after being in the auto body business for over 30 years I know what I could do with it. It is also not as hard to repair as many people think should it ever need it. More to come as I go along.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:17 pm

The project is almost complete. All that is left is to chrome the tail piece. I have posted some pictures on my web page.
http://www.ridgeroadramblers.com/Mosrite-project.html
I am quite happy with the finished Mosrite even if the red got a little off on the back. I didn't even realize it until after I completed the clear coat and looked at it from a distance a couple of days later. It plays great and I will put it to the test Saturday night.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Jim - Your guitar looks great! Good luck with the trial run - there's nothing like gigging with a guitar you built for the first time!

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Jim, just checked your site, that came out really sweet!
Now, take Her out to your next Gig, and make us all Proud! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Outstanding Jim.

I'm going to post a photo so it doesn't get over looked.

Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:28 pm

BTW Jim, how does it compare to your Hallmark Custom 60?
Danny Ellison

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”