Bass Time!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Bass Time!

Postby Veenture » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Wouldn't it be a good option (if not the best) to mount the bridge cover last of all? You can shift it around, look for the best placement point, make any necessary adjustments (to the cover) if required and then mark and drill the two screw holes... :?

oigun
Top Producer

Postby oigun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:11 pm

dubtrub wrote:Sorry about that. I made those drawings from a tracing Dennis did for me of his Mosrite bass. At that time I didn't have a bass nor had I ever held one, so it was trial and error. I too had to make certain adjustments to get everything to fit. That is why I left off the centerline on the drawing. Using the tracing of Dennis' pickguard I found it changed the centerline about 1/4" or more above what should be the centerline judging by the location of the neck pocket location in relation to the 'hump'. I don't recall what method I used on that blue bass I built as it is now long gone, but I think I compensated with a small change in the shape of the pickguard. Plus I routed the neck pocket about 1/8" higher than what looked to be the centerline.

BTW, that bridge cover looks great but the legs need to spread out some. Like I stated before the bends are not 90 degrees.

Seems that I run to the same problem as you had. I've copyéd the centerline from the guitartemplate. But it seems that it should be about an inch higher on the bottomside. Thats why I asked if you can measure the distance roughly where I put the ruler in the picture.
I've adjusted the cover now so the sides are not 90degrees anymore but now I nee meven more space to clear the pickguard.

Veenture, I want to get it all fit and was worrieb that the cover won't fit at all when I used my original centerline. Its better to do that before drilling the bridgeposts and neckpocket :mrgreen:
Measure twice cut once.

oigun
Top Producer

Postby oigun » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:01 am

Today I made another cover I bought a new sheet of brass 1.6mm this time I found the 1mm a bit too flimsy:
Polished a little now its ready for plating.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:08 am

That looks very nice!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 pm

I would wait until the neck is attached to the body to set the centerline. Just seams like much less trouble. Looking good so far though.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

oigun
Top Producer

Postby oigun » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:21 pm

sleeperNY wrote:I would wait until the neck is attached to the body to set the centerline. Just seams like much less trouble. Looking good so far though.

Jim

Jim the only vay to set the neck correct is to use a centerline. This line demants the placing of the pickups bridge etc.
But I think I've figured it out now.
I'm studiing on metalplating right now :mrgreen:

woodchuck30
Top Producer

Postby woodchuck30 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi guys your looking real good, really a nice job. Hay!, have a sugestion for you if your open for one. Instead of ysing brass to cover the bridge, and spending all that money on nickel or crome plating, why not make it out of a piece of stainless steel, and polish it out. Its stronger than bras and wont get bent out of shape if bumped or crushed. The best thing about it is that stainless steel is not magnetic. what do you think????

Al

raygun85
Top Producer

Postby raygun85 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Actually, be careful with stainless steel. Some grades actually are magnetic. In fact, even virtually non-magnetic grades are still technically magnetic. But they don't contain enough ferrite elements to be picked up by a magnet. But when dealing with small and intricate parts (like on guitars) its probably best to be cautious. I once bought some stainless for a structural part of the pickup and found out the hard way that it was contributing to a "clunky" sound coming from the guitar's signal. I always assumed that stainless steel was all the same, I didn't realize some grades were magnetic. Crazy... :shock:
How dare you presume to inject, using reproducible facts and rational thought, an on-topic discussion into a thread that had degenerated from sarcasm, personal invective, and hand-waving arguments?

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:48 pm

Matt! where have you been? have you been hiding in your guitar shop behind the coil winding machine??? ;)
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

raygun85
Top Producer

Postby raygun85 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Been prototyping pickups and sanding necks and bodies... ;)
How dare you presume to inject, using reproducible facts and rational thought, an on-topic discussion into a thread that had degenerated from sarcasm, personal invective, and hand-waving arguments?

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”