1966 Ventures II (German Carved) Restoration

101Volts
Master Contributor

1966 Ventures II (German Carved) Restoration

Postby 101Volts » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:11 am

For new readers, I bought this guitar last week and its the same as talked about in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4118&start=10

I don't have any new pictures yet but here's what I've done with the guitar so far.

1. Made a string guide for it out of bone (Hopefully it won't break under string tension since its a bit thin)

2. Took the truss rod out and found its not broken (Though its bent at the end a bit thanks to whoever over tightened it)

3. Bought a replacement neck plate and screws from Andy Moseley and attached the neck

Next, I'm buying tuners followed by various sizes of trem springs. I like experimenting with string gauges - Don't worry, I'm not about to put "Rock Lobster" Strings on it! - As for the finish, So long as the original finish isn't still on the guitar underneath the current ugly finish I'll paint it in a dark blue like Ricky's. I won't do that without some experience first though, I'll have to refinish some cheap guitars first.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: 1966 Ventures II GC Restoration

Postby 101Volts » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:16 pm

On subject of the finish, Does anyone know if Mosrite stained the bodies of this model for the ones that were sprayed in sunburst? I doubt the original finish is on my guitar underneath the hack job that's currently on it but what if its an original stain?

Austin

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:26 am

I asked Danny about stains on Mosrite bodies. If its a stain its not original and I'll refin it to blue. Anyway, Last week I ordered a neck plate and screws from Andy Moseley. They arrived on Saturday (Fast shipping, Thanks Andy!) And I attached the neck then I ordered tuners on Sunday. I'll likely order springs for the trem next and string it up so the neck can adjust to string tension.

Austin

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:33 pm

I now have the neck propped up and a 25 pound bag on the body to simulate string tension while I wait for the tuners to arrive. (The neck needs to adjust, I'll probably take the bag off tomorrow since its been on for a day already) Here are some pics, Click on them for bigger versions. You can also zoom in on them at the Photobucket page.

Body (Sorry for the low lighting)

End of Neck:

Beneath Trem Plate:

Headstock (You can see the bone string guide here)

Neck Plate Attached:

Simulating String Tension:

The weight is a sealed bag of magnum shot. (I normally lay a neck on the shot bag while hammering frets in, The shot reduces recoil) The magnum shot bag is in a shopping bag in the event that the inner bag is punctured. I don't need a huge mess. There's another light orange weight on the neck.

Austin

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:17 am

Interesting stuff Austin, keep it up! Do you think it was an original [=factory] Sunburst job?
I love following your project, good luck :)

Olav
Top Producer

Postby Olav » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:58 am

This is some interesting stuff. Looking out for updates.
va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
my guitars @ LGTf
Official Member of the GUN Guitar Owners Association
my 2011TDPRI entry

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:21 am

Thanks, I don't think its likely that the finish underneath is original. You can't see it in the pics but on the sides of the guitar I can see the yellow through some parts and no black.

Austin

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:59 pm

My Kluson #SD9005MN S Tuners arrived today. They fit fine but the bushings are too big so instead of using the new ones I polished the old ones and used them instead. Here's the headstock with an old tuner to compare.

Front

Back

They're not vintage correct but they turn easily so I'm not complaining.

Some days ago I put an old High E string on the guitar using an old tuner and I saw how low the action can go. .035 high measured at the 12th fret, Not holding down the string at the first fret. The action can go lower than on any other guitar I own or have played. But still, That was when the bridge was as low as it could be adjusted and I still didn't get any buzzing so I made a neck shim that's about 100 thousandths thick so I can get even lower action (Or at least try) I have a pic of the shim in a rough cut but it seems silly to post it because I don't have a pic of the shim after I finished it. I'll take one later and post both pics.

After I made the shim I decided to check out the bridge. Honestly, I don't like it much. The saddles are OK but the inside walls of the bridge are far from square (I can probably fix that) The bridge rocks on the posts and the screws that hold the saddles are a very soft metal. I couldn't get the screws off very easily and I broke two of them and damaged a third while taking them off, Some of one's remnants are inside a saddle and I'm going to have a dandy time getting it out if I'm even going to try. (Anyone have an extra G saddle?) I might have to drill it out, Its that bad. I'm not using the three original screws that I have left, I'm getting stainless steel replacements.

Coincidentally, After writing that I looked on eBay for a replacement saddle and someone listed 18 stainless steel replacement screws an hour ago. Someone must be reading my mind, I wonder if they have a volume from about 1998?

Austin

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Your project is coming along great, Austin. If you haven't decided on pickups yet, you might try contacting Ed Elliott for a set of his Mosrite labeled non exposed poll plain top covered pickups. Those should be correct for your guitar and you could probably get a vibrato arm from Bob Shade. They are virtually the same as the Mosrite arm. Maybe someone on the forum could provide you with a tracing of the correct pickguard. You could make one yourself and use the existing holes in the body rather than try retrofitting an aftermarket with screw holes that don't lineup. Someday an original guard may turn up but at least you can get it all together in the meantime.
Danny Ellison

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks Danny, I haven't settled on pickups yet but I might contact Ed. I'd like pickups with adjustable pole pieces but I do like how the smooth top covers look so I'll probably get pickups with interchangeable covers. I was thinking of carving my own pickguard too, Maybe I'll make two pickguards. One in MK V style, The other like the earlier long Ventures II guard. I'll probably buy a Hallmark trem arm too.

Austin

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”