Pickup repair???

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Pickup repair???

Postby sleeperNY » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:26 am

I have a question for anyone that may be able to help me. 1 of my Mosrite pickups has virtually no magnetic pull and therefore has almost no sound coming from it. I can return it but if it is easy to recharge the magnet I would like to give it a try. I don't think I can hurt it anymore than it is. My question is, does anyone know how it can be done? It reads 11.5k and everything else looks ok with it. I have a PM into EFElliot but have not heard from him as yet. Any info is appreciated.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: Pickup repair???

Postby Mr. Bill » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:19 pm

The original Mosrite single coil pickups are very similar in construction to a Gibson P-90.

The screw/polepieces extend through the coil and tie into the two magnets under the coil form. If yours has lost its magnetic charge, then both magnets have either become discharged or they may have been installed incorrectly.

If you need to recharge the magnets, you will have to disassemble the pickup in order to charge each magnet.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Jim,
That ALMOST sounds like one of the wires to the pick-up might be 'grounding out' against
something else in the control cavity. Sometimes when something gets grounded, it doesn't
always quit working completely, but might work anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the power output.
Before you replace the pick up, I think I would "raise and check under the hood" to see if
everything looks good, and not getting 'pinched' somewhere..... ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:15 pm

I heard from E.F.Elliot this morning and he also said that 1 of the magnets may be flipped over causing it not to work. He also said that the way these pickups are made it is not easy to open them up without hurting something inside. These have something like a bondo material sealing the bottom and I see no good way of opening them up. I am waiting to see what it will cost from E.F.Elliot for him to repair. I haven't had much luck from where I got them. I don't think Curtis sent anything knowing there were problems with them, I just think he is at the bottom of his parts and what is left isn't as good as they could be.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”