Parts-rite?

drbassman

Parts-rite?

Postby drbassman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:25 pm

OK guys, fill me in. I see this term but I'm not clear as to what you all are talking about. Is there a place (or places) to get some parts for Mosrite guitars/basses? I'm curious here..........

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Parts-rite?

Postby dubtrub » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:28 pm

drbassman wrote:OK guys, fill me in. I see this term but I'm not clear as to what you all are talking about. Is there a place (or places) to get some parts for Mosrite guitars/basses? I'm curious here..........

Yes! Mel Waldorf or SleeperNY have built them and will no doubt lead you to the source.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:27 pm

The term is used around here to describe a guitar assembled from parts left over after the Mosrite factory closed. So, genuine American Mosrite parts, but not assembled in the Mosrite factory. There's a guy in Canada who has a cache of bodies, necks and hardware in various stages of completion. I bought parts from him to put together a VIII model. You can read about my assembly adventures (and mis-adventures) in this thread: http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=112 These guitars could also be called "Semi-Mosrites" (get it? get it?) or MoPars if you are fond of pentastar badged cars.

If you decide to build a Parts-rite, expect to do some woodwork, electronics and basic luthiery. I built mine in August and I'm still fine tuning it. It's a rewarding project for those of us with some experience in these areas but not the skill level to build a guitar from scratch the way Dubtrub has. As an aside, I think I've learned enough through the process of building my Parts-rite that now I could build a guitar from scratch, assuming I had the tools and the time.

Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:13 am

I just ordered a Parts-Rite "kit" last week - his name is Curtis Muldoon, email muldoons@sympatico.ca, and his phone # is 519-726-4419, if you want to contact him.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 am

I want to add that Curtis and Lizzy were very easy to work with and helpful in dealing with complications - the first neck I received was twisted and they handled the exchange promptly. Curtis also spent a good deal of time talking me through some of the assembly process on the phone.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Yes, what Mel said. Curtis was very easy to talk with and he also gave me great info on the parts I bought from him. With just basic tools and some common sense you can build a great guitar. I am very happy with mine.
Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:21 pm

sleeperNY wrote:Yes, what Mel said. Curtis was very easy to talk with and he also gave me great info on the parts I bought from him. With just basic tools and some common sense you can build a great guitar. I am very happy with mine.
Jim

This is very cool! Does he have basses? No problem putting one together. I built this all maple T Bird from scratch.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:25 pm

I talked to Curtis about a bass for a friend and he said he thought he could come up with most of what was needed for 2 basses. I think he said he didn't have any bass bridges left.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:38 pm

sleeperNY wrote:I talked to Curtis about a bass for a friend and he said he thought he could come up with most of what was needed for 2 basses. I think he said he didn't have any bass bridges left.

Jim

I sent him an email already! thanks.

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:18 am

I talked to Curtis today. A great guy. I'll be buying a bass body and some parts for him in the next couple days. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”