String Problem, please help.

tonetti

String Problem, please help.

Postby tonetti » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:07 pm

I asked this question at SG101, and got some good answers, but I thought I'd give it a try here since it is Mosrite Specific. I recently put on a set of flat 11 chromes on my 68MK1, I am addicted, and I love them, the tone is fat, and the playability is excellent. (Im used to playing super slinky round wound) The only problem is the hi E and B, are still too flimsy for my liking. I pick aggressively with a heavy pick, and I'd like to go with even bigger strings. But there are a few problems in doing this. My bridge will only accept a set of 11s, if I went any bigger on the low strings, they will not seat, and I'm not willing to modify this guitar. I am also concerned with too much string tension on a 40 yr old guitar neck. I am just wondering if there are any problems with just putting on a 13 and a 16 in the hi E & B position? i already picked up some singles today, just thought I'd get your opinions.
Thanks in advance!!

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: String Problem, please help.

Postby dubtrub » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:28 pm

You right not to modify an original guitar. You might want to check the rollers in the string post to make sure there are in the right position. I have found more than one where the post have been changed around (possibly during disassembly to clean the bridge) and end up supporting the wrong string. The string guide (often misnamed a nut) may be a problem. Some guitars were set up from the factory with small slots in the string guide while others had wider slots to accommodate heavier strings. Also many guitars came with two different gauge vibrato springs for the different size strings. Something to remember, going to heavy gauge strings will lower the vibrato arm unless you can find a heavier spring.

As for the neck, if the neck is straight with lighter strings it will most likely require a 1/4 turn on the trussrod to prevent bowing. All of the above issues mentioned are all part of the 'setup' with different gauge strings with such a slender neck and should be consider as part of the process of ownig a Mosrite.
Danny Ellison

tonetti

Postby tonetti » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:47 pm

dubtrub wrote:You right not to modify an original guitar. You might want to check the rollers in the string post to make sure there are in the right position. I have found more than one where the post have been changed around (possibly during disassembly to clean the bridge) and end up supporting the wrong string. The string guide (often misnamed a nut) may be a problem. Some guitars were set up from the factory with small slots in the string guide while others had wider slots to accommodate heavier strings. Also many guitars came with two different gauge vibrato springs for the different size strings. Something to remember, going to heavy gauge strings will lower the vibrato arm unless you can find a heavier spring.

As for the neck, if the neck is straight with lighter strings it will most likely require a 1/4 turn on the trussrod to prevent bowing. All of the above issues mentioned are all part of the 'setup' with different gauge strings with such a slender neck and should be consider as part of the process of ownig a Mosrite.

I have (quite a while back) found that 2 of the bridge rollers were in the wrong position, and it was a problem! One of the wider ones was in the hi e position, and the string sat much lower than the others. I quickly remedied this. I have already worked the above kinks when I went from the 9s to the 11s, truss/trem. I was really just wanting to know if there are any problems with having a larger guage in the 2 hi positions. I really dont have "any " experience with bigger string sizes, as I have played 9 rounds exclusively for years. What i do know, is that I have been really missing out. Keeping an open mind is a good thing!!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:58 pm

tonetti wrote: I was really just wanting to know if there are any problems with having a larger guage in the 2 hi positions.

No problem with the guitar as long as you are comfortable with the feel.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:17 pm

Tonetti, you probably already did this when you changed the posts to the
correct location....Re-check the Intonation after putting on new strings ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

jnslobaugh
Top Producer

Postby jnslobaugh » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:42 pm

In agreement with all comments... I have always loved Fatties (string Gauge) I worked at Taylor for a few years in their setup Dept. and between Taylor and doing setups and Mod's on the side I learned that changing to a heavier gauge especially on the high side could leave them sticking in a bit the nut groove. However from your comment on the age of your piece I would say it's possible but not very probable.
JEFFREY S. LOBAUGH

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”