Parts-rite Bass project

drbassman

Parts-rite Bass project

Postby drbassman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:05 am

I had a great chat with Curtis and ended up ordering a bass body, knobs and pickguard. I was chatting with a friend and he offered me his Mosrite bass bridge for a trade for a Gibson part he needed. So, I've got all of that on its way in the mail! I'll post some pics when I get it.

I won't decide on a color for the bass until I see the body, although trans white (Fender blonde) has been coming to mind as I think about it. I'll have to build the neck myself, but I've got my Celebrity bass to use as a model, so that should work out well.

More to come...............

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Parts-rite Bass project

Postby dubtrub » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:28 am

Looking forward to following it's progress. Be sure and post pix. ;)
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:39 am

Sounds like a great project! Please keep us informed about the progress and take pictures!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Will do. I like sharing!

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:51 am

Here's the body I got from Curtis. Very nice! I'm busy collecting the part I'll need for the project. Got a pickup, neck plate, bridge, strap buttons, pickguard, nut. I'll be building the neck over the winter.

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:18 am

Here's the first step in my Mosrite bass project. I started the tail piece. I used 3/4: aluminum angle and ebony (I didn't have a wide enough piece of rosewood). I just superglued the block into place, sanded and drilled my holes (thanks to dubtrub for the measurements!). Next I'll do the contour shaping and finish drilling the holes through the aluminum.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:03 am

Looking good!

Man, I wish I had a router bit to do the carve like on the upper side of that body. I could really 'crank out' the bodies. As it is, I have to do it all by hand which takes longer than making the entire rest of the body.
Danny Ellison

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:35 am

dubtrub wrote:Man, I wish I had a router bit to do the carve like on the upper side of that body. I could really 'crank out' the bodies. As it is, I have to do it all by hand which takes longer than making the entire rest of the body.

That would be one heck of a bit to put in a router!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:01 pm

Mr. Bill wrote:That would be one heck of a bit to put in a router!

In the video I have of the Mosrite factory tour, one of the wokers holds up the shaper bit. It looks to about five inches in length and weighs about 10 lbs. I think it used a Chevy V8 to turn it. :lol:

I believe Ed Elliott has it now.
Danny Ellison

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:49 pm

dubtrub wrote:
Mr. Bill wrote:That would be one heck of a bit to put in a router!

In the video I have of the Mosrite factory tour, one of the wokers holds up the shaper bit. It looks to about five inches in length and weighs about 10 lbs. I think it used a Chevy V8 to turn it. :lol:

I believe Ed Elliott has it now.

Yeah, I can't imagine what that would look like! I also can't imagine doing it by hand. It takes me forever to do a neck contour by hand!

I have a dumb question. Is the top rout supposed to be different on the upper side of the bass vs. the bottom? See my picture for details. On my body, there's a very deep distinct rout on the bottom that fades away on the top. Is this correct for a vintage body?

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”