Star Swirl *** 1st build

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Star Swirl *** 1st build

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:34 pm

Looking good!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:25 am

MWaldorf wrote:Looking good!

I feel like dancin'

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:13 am

BlackieOnasis wrote:
BlackieOnasis wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk[/youtube]

Well, THAT didn't work.

There it is!

This is weird Just checked a forum thread I was posting on Nighthawk Motorcycle repair for my busted starter chain about half a year ago. I used the same reference. As well as quote Mad Max references. Check out my bike BlackieOnasis (scroll down the page)

You ride man?

http://nighthawk-forums.com/engine/did-i-break-it-you-be-the-judge-85'cb700sc/50/
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

BlackieOnasis

Re:

Postby BlackieOnasis » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:02 pm

cmiller0034 wrote:
BlackieOnasis wrote:
BlackieOnasis wrote:This is weird Just checked a forum thread I was posting on Nighthawk Motorcycle repair for my busted starter chain about half a year ago. I used the same reference. As well as quote Mad Max references. Check out my bike BlackieOnasis (scroll down the page)

You ride man?

http://nighthawk-forums.com/engine/did-i-break-it-you-be-the-judge-85'cb700sc/50/

I used to ride, but I had to give it up a few years ago, mostly due to weight-related health issues. I've busted my butt since then and am now in riding shape again, but I think a hot rod is next, rather than another bike. Brit bikes are my faves, and I'm loving the resurgence of the cafe racer. I've had a couple of BSA's, a Honda, a Suzuki and my last bike was an '07 Bonneville.

Going back a step, Schneider and Sandler are small-dose only things for me. When Sandler is on his game, he can do some great stuff, but lately it seems like he just phones it it for a paycheck.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Brit bikes are my faves, and I'm loving the resurgence of the cafe racer. I've had a couple of BSA's, a Honda, a Suzuki and my last bike was an '07 Bonneville.

Man, compared to you I'm a pup! :lol: I just started riding a few years ago. I have only had one bike a 85' Nighthawk cb700sc. Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself and getting back on the hog. And yes Cafe's are certainly cool.

I have gone WAY of topic: here is a segway back into guitars

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Maths (not really)

Thanks to Greg_L for the measurements

Measuring with vernier dial calipers....

@ zero-fret - .900" (ramping up to the volute)
@1st fret - .800"
@5th fret - .850"
@9th fret - .890"
@12th fret - .920"
@15th fret - .970"

Then the heel starts.

I'd say my 60C has a sort of flattened-C feel to it. Similar to my 60s neck Les Paul, but a little flatter. Faster.

I did a bit of sketching for the side profile. based on these figures and what Blackie had figured earlier for the heel.

rig for the 7 degree headstock angle

I did a whole thing to figure out where the body and neck would meet up didnt feel like posting the picks. Here is where I decided to place the curve of heel with a french curve.

Now I have to figure out the volute and best way to cut this thing out. A great bandsaw would prob be best but mine kinda sucks.

here are some cool photos of Guitars in the meantime. :!:

Takeshi Terauchi

Rad clip of Terry playing

This is an Eleki film starring Yuzo Kayama and Terry Terauchi called Elecki No Wakadaisho (The Young General's Electric Guitar) 1965. Really goofy film, but features some really cool Japanese surf music. The copy I have is terrible quality and there are no subtitles on the disc so I just guess as to what is going on. I had to make my own cover art for the disc :lol:

Here is a clip I think is pretty funny:

Starcrunch

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Some things were done.

radius, gluing, ect.

Truss rod test

and fianally... THE CLAMPS!

CLAMP CLAMP CLAMP! :twisted:

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm

I should have used MORE CLAMPS.

progress report after a challenging day (being stranded in an icy ditch with a 7 hour AAA est. wait time) :|

Well something was telling me to brave the cold night air and get more clamps last night.... but my legs refused. Got a little space under the heel end of my fret board where I should have had more clamps and probably a little more glue. Maybe a bead of Superglue under there will help keep it down.

there is enough space to slip the edge of this blade under....

This evening I decided to mess around with pre-bending some binding for the neck. I Totally screwed up the first piece with my heat gun. Here are some pics of my second attempt with some scrap MDF strips and clamps

Ugly. Yes. Best I can do at the moment. Hopefully It will clean up better.

Still not sure how to go about adhering it to the neck. I saw a guy using acetone to melt it to the neck. Others use so kind of glue. I don't know. I like the acetone idea. Seems like it could be messy though.

Well the fret board is not level yet. I used a straight edge and I can see a dip in the middle of the neck. (probably where I put too much downward pressure) That will have to be sorted out before I go any further.

Life is an uphill battle man.. unless you're Adam West.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Binding has proved to be one of my most challenging parts of the construction process.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Another Fine Mess

Well this is what I've been up to during the insanely changing climate changes here in old Kentucky.

An above freezing day last week encouraged me to venture outside and do some fret board leveling and inlay work.

I had to purchase some metric sized Brad point bits which were suprisingly uncommon to find in a hardware store or home center. Ended up finding them in Woodcraft for a premium price :roll:

Good old superglue and wax paper strips. I used way to much superglue making cleanup harder.

I decided to draw the rough position of the volute by eye and reference photos. And then transfer the lines up the side and sketch out what looked right with the use of a french curve. I have no idea if that's how people do it, but that's the only way I could work it out. looks ok.

Today was INSANELY warm for a February day! I decided to try my hand at some neck binding. And boy have I made a Mess.

I used some thicker and wider binding that I had initially experimented with so I had to cut it down to a workable size.

A reasonable person would probably just use Superglue ore plastic cement or I don't know... epoxy or something to attach their binding to the neck. NOT ME! I decided to make my own binding paste from cut up pieces of binding and Acetone.

I ate beans and beef hotdogs for dinner tonight, just so I could use the Can :lol:

nice goopy messy mix

This stuff was a total mess. In retrospect I should have used a smaller brush to apply the paste or cut the bristles down on the one I was using. Well, Ill see how much of a mess I made tomorrow. Or If this stuff even sticks onto the wood. Either way, a lot of cleanup is in store for me.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”