Star Swirl *** 1st build

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Re: Star Swirl *** 1st build

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Unbound
behold the grotesque!

errr... hm

I have just created a massive amount of extra work for ma' self. Feels tight though.

* Note to self. Tape off the fretboard first for easy cleanup *
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:45 pm

I have been rethinking the shape and position of my Volute and looking a reference pictures and my own Strat, I have come to a conclusion. The Apex of the Volute needs to be closer to the Nut. Or between the zero fret and string guide in this case. Makes sense to me. You can want your hand to butt up against it when you slide to the top of the neck.
(at least on original Mosrites. Hallmark seems ti make their Volutes Farther back)

Mosrite examples:

Hallmark example: apex farther up the neck

My line was back too far. So I'm redrawing mine a few centimeter closer to the nut.

here is the old line:

My new line: Starts at string guide

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:15 pm

These Bindings are STRONG like BULL!

I thought cleanup would be a nightmare but not so far.

used a flush trim bit to cleanup because Im too lazy to do it all with scrapers ;)

Took high ridge of binding down close to board with orbital sander. Again because I'm lazy.

couple of passes with sanding block and 80 grit

few more with 150 grit

few with 180

Sides still need to be scraped and the slots need to be cleaned out. But looks ok. Im happy with the way it turned out feels like part of the wood.

Cheers!

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:05 am

Lookin' good, man! Like I've always told my wife regarding my orphan car restorations...it's gonna look ugly before it looks pretty.
Scott

BlackieOnasis

Postby BlackieOnasis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:11 pm

Lookin' darn sharp.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:27 pm

BRRanger wrote:Lookin' good, man! Like I've always told my wife regarding my orphan car restorations...it's gonna look ugly before it looks pretty.
Scott

Thanks Scott. Your wife should really apprec.......... WAIT WHAT'S THIS!!!!!!!

So I'm just minding my business, right. Rough cutting this guitar neck on my band saw, right. Everything thing was going swell until.

re-enactment: *Whistle* Whistle* Whistle* "Wow here I am cutting wood on my bandsaw. Things are sure looking good. This thing is starting to look like an actual guitar. What could possible go wrong at this point?" :D

"Alright done with the bottom time to cut out the top of the headstock. This thing sure looks good!"

Wait... What?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

...........................................................................................................

suggestions?

BlackieOnasis

Postby BlackieOnasis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Just brainstorming here, but not having encountered this myself, I'd suggest:

Go ahead and cut the back profile of the headstock to see if the flaw goes all the way through.
If the flaw is shallow, you could shave down the face until the flaw is gone, then glue a plate on the face, similar to what Gibson does, but beefier.

If it goes so deep you'd shave off too much (your call there) but still not all the way through, you could carve out the offending material, fill the gap with an epoxy wood filler, then plate the face.

If the flaw goes all the way through, shave both faces as much as you dare, fill the flaw with epoxy wood filler, then plate both faces.

If you pick a dramatically different wood, say lacewood, zebrawood, maybe walnut, you could get a nice effect sammich effect.

Or you could go completely nuts and plate with metal instead of wood.

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:12 pm

BlackieOnasis wrote:Just brainstorming here, but not having encountered this myself, I'd suggest:

Go ahead and cut the back profile of the headstock to see if the flaw goes all the way through.
If the flaw is shallow, you could shave down the face until the flaw is gone, then glue a plate on the face, similar to what Gibson does, but beefier.

If it goes so deep you'd shave off too much (your call there) but still not all the way through, you could carve out the offending material, fill the gap with an epoxy wood filler, then plate the face.

If the flaw goes all the way through, shave both faces as much as you dare, fill the flaw with epoxy wood filler, then plate both faces.

If you pick a dramatically different wood, say lacewood, zebrawood, maybe walnut, you could get a nice effect sammich effect.

Or you could go completely nuts and plate with metal instead of wood.

Thanks for the Suggestions Blackie. I was Thinking along the same lines. I even called the wood suppier I use this afternoon to see If they had any Ebony Veneers. (the dont) But LMI Does! and for pretty cheap too. I might go that route.

Bob Shade suggested Clamping and Super glue here:
http://mosriteforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6101

I may combine both suggestions. Thanks for the Brain power Dudz. Guitarists and bikers are the nicest people.

(ride into the sunset on my grizzly)

BlackieOnasis

Postby BlackieOnasis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Listen to Mr. Shade. He's got the inside track on this. And if your flaw is too big for superglue, you can always use the sammich method.

But I wouldn't suggest a veneer - way too thin for structural support, which is what I'm thinking you're going to want a bit of. I would think you'd want 1/8" if possible. Modern veneers are too thin. They'll just give you a pretty headstock face and do nothing to stabilize the flaw against further expansion or movement - but again, this situation isn't in my area of experience.

But, if you want to add a veneer anyway, Woodcraft has a veneer sample pack that would give you 50 different options.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003323/3973/Wood-Identification-Kit-Veneer-Sample-Pack-50-piece.aspx

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Postby cmiller0034 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:37 pm

But I wouldn't suggest a veneer - way too thin for structural support, which is what I'm thinking you're going to want a bit of. I would think you'd want 1/8" if possible. Modern veneers are too thin. They'll just give you a pretty headstock face and do nothing to stabilize the flaw against further expansion or movement

I was on my way out the door when I heard your cautionary warning from the distance. I'm going to see how deep the wound goes and then decide what to do. Probably update my findings tonight. Ice storm is on the way so dont know how long I will be at this today. Also, thanks for pointing at the woodcraft pack. Though Woodcraft gets enough of my money already :lol:

away Baloo. AWWWWAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”