German Carve Routing Bit?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: German Carve Routing Bit?

Postby 101Volts » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Here's another bit I'm looking at that may or may not be be the right one for a Mosrite Mark V:

Generic
1 pc 1/4" Sh. 2-1/2 Dia. Roman Ogee Raised Panel & Base Edge Router Bit sct-888

Price: $45.50 & FREE Shipping

Brand new, high quality, industrial grade
1/4" Shank 2-1/2" Diameter Roman Ogee Raised Panel and Base Edge Router Bit.
C2 Carbide Tipped - Micro grain grade provides increased strength and utmost resistance

https://www.amazon.com/Roman-Raised-Pan ... 2+ogee+bit

What do you think? Remember, it's for the Mark V. I know this bit's not going to cut the gentle edge on the lower part of the carve but I can get around that.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:40 am

I'm pretty sure an ogee bit was used on the Victory/American series guitars in the 80s. I have no doubt the 60s guitars were done the way Ed Elliott does it. Somewhere along the line I remember seeing a video of Semie touring his workshop in the 80s and holding a huge ogee that looked to be the correct size for the V/A guitars, which makes sense given the consistent carve all around the body:

The 3.5" ogee I used was not for a Mosrite project. The curve from the edge of the body to the edge of the flat top surface winds up about 1.5". It winds up looking something like the carve on this Fano
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 am

101Volts wrote:Here's another bit I'm looking at that may or may not be be the right one for a Mosrite Mark V:

Generic
1 pc 1/4" Sh. 2-1/2 Dia. Roman Ogee Raised Panel & Base Edge Router Bit sct-888

Price: $45.50 & FREE Shipping

(image snipped from quote; look up)

Brand new, high quality, industrial grade
1/4" Shank 2-1/2" Diameter Roman Ogee Raised Panel and Base Edge Router Bit.
C2 Carbide Tipped - Micro grain grade provides increased strength and utmost resistance

https://www.amazon.com/Roman-Raised-Pan ... 2+ogee+bit

What do you think? Remember, it's for the Mark V. I know this bit's not going to cut the gentle edge on the lower part of the carve but I can get around that.

- Austin

I bought this bit and it's not a 100% match to the Mark V; it's not quite as wide as it needs to be, the carve needs to be steeper near the top; however, it's a lot closer than a cove bit and I'm still going to use it to make some of my own copies. Even though it's not 100% that's OK for the time being. While I'm thinking of it it's far, far, far off from the carve on my Brass Rail Deluxe #10 which might use a 3.5" or larger Ogee. I'm no professional at telling which bits were used, I have next to no experience here.

MWaldorf wrote:I'm pretty sure an ogee bit was used on the Victory/American series guitars in the 80s. I have no doubt the 60s guitars were done the way Ed Elliott does it. Somewhere along the line I remember seeing a video of Semie touring his workshop in the 80s and holding a huge ogee that looked to be the correct size for the V/A guitars, which makes sense given the consistent carve all around the body:
(pic snipped)

The 3.5" ogee I used was not for a Mosrite project. The curve from the edge of the body to the edge of the flat top surface winds up about 1.5". It winds up looking something like the carve on this Fano
(pic snipped)

Good to know that Mosrites through the years aren't too picky on the carve, Mel. Kinda funny, I'm surprised I didn't think to ask Ed about this.

- Austin

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:45 pm

101Volts wrote:I bought this bit and it's not a 100% match to the Mark V; it's not quite as wide as it needs to be, the carve needs to be steeper near the top; however, it's a lot closer than a cove bit and I'm still going to use it to make some of my own copies. Even though it's not 100% that's OK for the time being. While I'm thinking of it it's far, far, far off from the carve on my Brass Rail Deluxe #10 which might use a 3.5" or larger Ogee. I'm no professional at telling which bits were used, I have next to no experience here.

- Austin

I shouldn't judge before I've used the bit.

- Austin

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:39 am

I tried the 2 1/2 bit. Bottom line is it's 4/32 off but it's close and I don't think my hand router will fit a larger one.

- Austin

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:16 pm

One more note: the carve on my Brass Rail Deluxe extends 1.5 inches from the edge of the body so I'm guessing it was made with a 3.5 inch Ogee.

- Austin

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”