My first Mosrite project.

panther
Top Producer

Re: My first Mosrite project.

Postby panther » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:19 am

Also when you begin to layout where the bridge and saddle are going, take into consideration intonation. If the fret board if off you will need to compensate for that with the bridge and saddle location.

Measure 3 times cut once.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

JOAK

Postby JOAK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Johnny-Alien wrote:Just a note I have the neck template from them and there are numerous things wrong with it. I brought it up with the seller and he basically said "I never said it was accurate". The neck heel depth/side measurement is a bit to large which makes it sit slightly too high and makes setting it up well difficult. Also if you look at those tuner holes they are not in the right spot at all. In fact if you put them where they have them the high and low E holes would be in the sloping down part of the headstock. The neck thickness and width dimensions are all good. Just be aware to check online measurements and tweak it where it needs it. Which is mainly around the neck heel and the tuner hole placement.

Thanks for bringing this up Johnny. I didn't notice the wrong position of tuner holes. I haven't drilled them yet, so it's easy to fill and make new holes to the template i made for drilling holes. The heel thickness is also easy to change at this stage. I also noticed a strange bump on both sides of top template of the neck, at the place where the string guide comes. But that is also quite easy to smooth out.

JOAK

Postby JOAK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi folks!
I made an album of my project to dropbox. There is only one night, three hours left of my course. I try hard to get all woodwork done before the end. That way i could do fretwork and finishing at home, and start a new project in september when the course starts again.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vbth3f5qmxly ... clIaa?dl=0

LoveyX
Top Producer

Postby LoveyX » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 am

Nice project! Exciting to see the neck and body taking shape!

JOAK

Postby JOAK » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Today was the last course day for this semester. I almost got all routings done, except the neck pocket. I realized that the neck pocket template in the template kit is about 1/4" too short, and i need to make new one.
I think i have to route those cavities little bit deeper to clean out some of the drill marks. Next time i will make shallower pre-drilling before routing.
Could somebody measure the height of the top of the fretboard from the top of the body from original Mosrite? That would help me when i start to make neck pocket and trim the thickness of the neck heel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkebv3f3bylu8 ... 2.jpg?dl=0

JOAK

Postby JOAK » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:55 am

I wish i had found this earlier. These german templates look much better than the other set i bought.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/232223762268?ul_noapp=true

JOAK

Postby JOAK » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 am

I just wasted five hours on bad templates, and gave up. Left the course an hour early. I found out that neck heel is at least 4-5 millimeters too thick. That is easy to repair, but the neck pocket template is not. That template should be aligned in it's position with the bridge pickup cavity. But the cavity hole in the pocket template is 5 millimeters closer to the bridge than in the body template. Or alternatively the pocket hole is 5 mm too deep in the pocket template. I tried to make new template to fit, but got tired of struggling with center lines and positioning. Those templates simply are not worth of their price, not even close. They can only be used as a guideline when making working templates. Almost everything seems to be inaccurate. I cannot recommend them to anyone. Now i have five days to think what to do with this project. If i don't find a solution for next thursday, i may forget this at least for a while, and start another project. An acoustic nylon string guitar perhaps.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:45 am

Great work.
Man would I love to have a shop set up just for guitars.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Johnny-Alien

Postby Johnny-Alien » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:47 pm

JOAK wrote:I just wasted five hours on bad templates, and gave up. Left the course an hour early. I found out that neck heel is at least 4-5 millimeters too thick. That is easy to repair, but the neck pocket template is not. That template should be aligned in it's position with the bridge pickup cavity. But the cavity hole in the pocket template is 5 millimeters closer to the bridge than in the body template. Or alternatively the pocket hole is 5 mm too deep in the pocket template. I tried to make new template to fit, but got tired of struggling with center lines and positioning. Those templates simply are not worth of their price, not even close. They can only be used as a guideline when making working templates. Almost everything seems to be inaccurate. I cannot recommend them to anyone. Now i have five days to think what to do with this project. If i don't find a solution for next thursday, i may forget this at least for a while, and start another project. An acoustic nylon string guitar perhaps.

Yes that is what I found when dealing with the neck template. And the seller simply doesn't care. I brought it up that his templates had issues in many areas. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”