Info & Specs for building a Mosrite clone

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: Info & Specs for building a Mosrite clone

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Danny, I've said this before, but I think it really needs to be repeated, because I personally don't think you hear it enough. Thank you so so so so so much for the mosrite forum.

that being said, also thank you so much for this thread, i'll print this out and keep it close by for my own builds. if only I have the time to work on my own gear instead of customers. lol :D

thanks again!
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Aaron, you are welcome. Much appreciated.
Danny Ellison

woodchuck30
Top Producer

Postby woodchuck30 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi danny how's it goin. I have a question for you, on the print for the wireing diagram, I assume everything is grounded to the bridge is that correct? or are they grounded some place else as well, like the pots :?:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Woodchuck,

Everything is centrally grounded on a pot, including the bridge. Here's a link to photo's showing Mosrite wiring.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=235
Danny Ellison

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:25 pm

also woodchuck, a lot of guitars, particularly fenders, will also use shielding for the guitar cavities to reduce noise and interference with neon lighting. if you go this route, you should ground the shielding along with everything else. more modern fenders use shielding paint which can be purchased at stewmac, or you can use copper or aluminum tape as well.
However this really wasn't found on mosrites, at least not the one's I've seen.
:D
Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

woodchuck30
Top Producer

Postby woodchuck30 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks guy's, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I know threre trivial, but I would like to get it right the first time. It's getting close to crunch time, got the cavities for the electronics all cut out, down to the final sanding and paint job this week. sending away for the last of the parts. Have more pics in the near future, thanks again :)

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:09 pm

awesome, any thoughts on finishes yet?
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Olav
Top Producer

Postby Olav » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:42 am

I have just received templates for a 'Mosrite' from guitarbuildingtemplates and I've been comparing the fretboard and neck templates to the Aria clone I recently posted and more importantly to Danny's measurements of his '66 Mosrite. The neck on the Aria is small but I can work with that. The templates are worrysomely small. The measurements Danny gives resemble a Fender neck. Is this for '66 models only where other models are more narrow/smaller?
I have no way to get readings in inches and so all my measurements are in cm, then coverted to inches;
The necktemplate at 0fret is just under 3,8cm => just under 1.496" whereas '66 easurements are 1.673" That's quite a difference...
Will I be able to produce a playable neck from these templates or do I mock up my own neck to for example Danny's '66 specs?
va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
my guitars @ LGTf
Official Member of the GUN Guitar Owners Association
my 2011TDPRI entry

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:34 pm

I have the same set of templates Olav. I had to do some slight adjusting to get what I wanted but the neck I built played great but it was just to narrow at the nut for my liking so I sold it to another forum member. What they need with this template set is a side profile template as it's vital for the final product. Kevin

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:29 pm

I also thought the neck at the nut was quite narrow, even for mosrites. I decided to modify my own to something closer to a 70's neck though.
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”