The Terrortones are making an album

BigRedX

The Terrortones are making an album

Postby BigRedX » Tue May 12, 2015 5:09 am

For the last 3 days Dick Venom & The Terrortones have been in the studio recording songs for their first full-length album release. We went back to JT Soar in Nottingham (UK) where we recorded our last EP The MonsterPussy Sessions because we liked the relaxed vibe and were extremely pleased with the previous results. This time though it was being recorded on the computer rather than 24 track analogue tape as we wanted to be a bit more ambitious with the mix and need the automation the computer method offers at mix down. We were still tracking through the ex-Iron Maiden AMC desk though!

Important things first - here's the guitars and amps being used:

You'll probably all recognise the Hallmark Wingbat. The Mosrite influenced baritone is a Harley Benton (Thomann's own brand) and AFAICS a rebadged version of the Eastwood Sidejack DLX Baritone with a couple of cosmetic differences. Thomann were recently selling them off at £65 and I couldn't resist!

And some basses:

The view from the drum kit:

And finally getting down to actually recording some songs:

Listening to the playback with Phil the engineer:

And Mr Venom working out that all-important Glockenspiel part:

We ended up getting 14 songs recorded for the album plus a few alternative versions to be hopefully used as singles. That was accomplished by pretty much recording everything live with a few guitar, vocal, theremin and percussion overdubs.

Mixing takes place in a few weeks time, and we hope to have the album out on vinyl and download later in the year.

Watch this space!

BRRanger
Top Producer

Re: The Terrortones are making an album

Postby BRRanger » Tue May 12, 2015 8:57 am

I'm not a bass player, but I'm diggin' the Yamaha 5-string! And, of course the Wing-Bat. Ashamedly...I haven't played mine beyond the day it arrived from Mr. Shade but it gets the highest praise from everyone that sees it. Which tracks did you use it on?
Scott

BigRedX

Postby BigRedX » Tue May 12, 2015 10:13 am

Thanks! Unfortunately the Yamaha didn't end up on any of the tracks. I tried it on a couple, but always felt that the Red Gus G3 bass had the more aggressive edge that I was looking for.

The Wingbat on the other hand is on some of the songs. I'll let you know which ones when the album is released.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri May 15, 2015 5:22 am

Way cool!

sumlin

Postby sumlin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:45 pm

That wooden finish Euclid 2x12 used to be mine! Glad to see it getting some use. Phil was telling me about the Hallmark when I recorded there a couple of weeks back (live record with Dusty Bible, didn't have a Mosrite bass but used a Univox so at least it was Mosrite shaped)...
Brass Rail #43
Acoustic Black Widow #BC1092
MkV #B735
Univox Hi Fliers, Tele Deluxes, Harmony Bobkats

BigRedX

Postby BigRedX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Just a quick update.

The album is going to be called "SnakeOil For Snakes" and will feature 13 of the tracks we recorded. Test pressings have been approved and artwork is being finished off so it looks as though we're on target for an early October release date.

Hopefully this weekend we'll get to see the first cut of the promo video for "I Can't Find My BrainCell", and then we'll be finalising the tour dates (unfortunately it's UK only this year).

Exciting times...

BigRedX

Postby BigRedX » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:35 am

As a taster for the album, here's the promo video for the track "I Can't Find My BrainCell"

So long as no-one has any objections to men cavorting about in skin-tight latex cat-suits this should be OK for viewing at work...

BigRedX

Postby BigRedX » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:02 am

At long last I can announce the official release of the first full-length album by Dick Venom & The Terrortones - "SnakeOil For Snakes".

Thirteen tracks available on Vinyl with either a free download or a CD copy, or as download only from iTunes and Amazon.

The vinyl version comes with 7 interchangeable front covers and a lyric sheet in a printed PVC sleeve.

You can get the vinyl versions here

Or alternatively download only versions from iTMS or Amazon.

Return to “Members' Music and Gigs”