Twin Reverb tricks

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Twin Reverb tricks

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:08 pm

As some of you know, shlepping a Twin Reverb around is not such an easy thing. About two years ago, I decided to split up the head and speakers, piggyback style. I got JD Newell to build me a head cabinet, at the standard non-reverb head height of 8 inches. This leaves no room for a full size pan, so I put in a smaller three spring tank underneath the pre-amp tubes. Works fine, but the reverb, though cavernous, doesn't drip.

Well, finally I've got that fixed. I realized that there can be room for a full size pan if the front baffle is made thinner. So, with two layers of 3/8 inch ply I was able to make a new baffle, seen here with the original one:

Here it is with the grill cloth:

It mounts right in, with about a finger's width between the output transformer and the pan, and just enough room for the reverb cables. Interestingly, I initially installed the pan in the standard fashion with the input on the preamp side and the output on the poweramp side. This resulted in a huge level of noise which disappeared when I flipped the pan over with the input on the power side and the output on the preamp side. Go figure.

Anyway, now I've got the classic Twin Reverb drip back. For the speaker cabinet, I have a mid 60s Bandmaster bottom that was originally a two 12" cabinet. Fool that I am, I decided to shoehorn two 15"s in there. They fit with a bit of convincing as seen below. The sound is all that two 15s should be - lots of clean clear volume. The speakers are Weber neos.

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

midwestsurfer

Re: Twin Reverb tricks

Postby midwestsurfer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Way to go, Mel! Really creative solutions. Those 15"s really are jammed in there - I'll bet that cabinet moves a lot of air.
Nick

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:20 pm

Now let's see the front view in the completed form.
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:53 am

I really like those kind of creative ideas mixed with a bit of daring too... ;)

Good job Mel

Dnepr

Postby Dnepr » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:37 am

How do you like those speakers? I've entertained the idea of doing something similar to My twin for gigging, and was really interested in those particular Webers.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm

I like the Weber neos. When I was choosing speakers I talked to Ted Weber about my requirements - good for guitar, keys and bass. These neos, with the smooth cone and aluminum caps were his recommendation. The cab is mainly put to use by our keyboard player, who runs a Nord piano and a Vox Continental through it. However, when I've used it for guitar I haven't found it lacking. I think they're pretty good at covering the sonic territory of JBL D-130s.

Also, as per Danny's request, here's a picture of the final product enjoying a reflective moment, along with my '63 Showman, '63 Reverb and Mosrites. Both speaker cabinets are Bandmaster sizes, 32x20. The Twin Reverb has the two Weber neo 15s and the Showman has a single JBL D-130F.

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Mister Waldorf, that is so cool...err, sorry, typo....KEWL...it rhymes with DREWL!

A picture worth well worth framing and having it hanging on the livingroom wall. Time to remove my Bob Ross painting from the wall... :D :D :D

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:19 pm

That is a 'kewl' photo. ;)
Danny Ellison

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Not my normal statement to a guy - but you've got a nice pair there, Mel ...
So many guitars; So little time ..

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Veenture wrote:Mister Waldorf, that is so cool...err, sorry, typo....KEWL...it rhymes with DREWL!

A picture worth well worth framing and having it hanging on the livingroom wall. Time to remove my Bob Ross painting from the wall... :D :D :D

Hey, don't knock Bob Ross! Just imagine him painting this scene - "oh, here's a happy little Mosrite, and he's got a friend... now, let's take some titanium white and mix it with some desert tan; it makes the blond color of the tolex really stand out..."

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”