Marshall JCM800 style amp kit

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Marshall JCM800 style amp kit

Postby KRamone27 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:41 pm

dubtrub wrote:how to repair, how to scratch build etc. I'm talking about a place to ask questions if you smell smoke coming out of you amp and it's not from playing hot licks.

Funny you mention this Danny, I'm going to be purchasing a Marshall JCM800 style amp kit and I would be using the amp tech forum alot. But on another note I think it would be a great idea to have an amp tech section forum. I've sourced the amp kit and sourced a chassis and plan on building the head cabinet. Which brings me to a point Sarah made, I'm a journeyman carpenter by trade and can bring those skills to the woodworking aspect of amps as far as cabinet building and I think Rocco makes cabinets as well. I'm actually buying some 13-ply baltic birch plywood Friday and are starting on my cabinet project.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Poll: Amp tech section

Postby dubtrub » Wed May 19, 2010 6:24 pm

That's great, Kevin. I've built a few electronic projects but am no way a tech. Keep us posted on your amp project.
Danny Ellison

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:42 pm

KRamone27 wrote:
dubtrub wrote:how to repair, how to scratch build etc. I'm talking about a place to ask questions if you smell smoke coming out of you amp and it's not from playing hot licks.

Funny you mention this Danny, I'm going to be purchasing a Marshall JCM800 style amp kit and I would be using the amp tech forum alot. But on another note I think it would be a great idea to have an amp tech section forum. I've sourced the amp kit and sourced a chassis and plan on building the head cabinet. Which brings me to a point Sarah made, I'm a journeyman carpenter by trade and can bring those skills to the woodworking aspect of amps as far as cabinet building and I think Rocco makes cabinets as well. I'm actually buying some 13-ply baltic birch plywood Friday and are starting on my cabinet project.

hey Kevin, if you do build a cab I would love to see step by step!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:01 pm

Sarah93003 wrote:hey Kevin, if you do build a cab I would love to see step by step!

dubtrub wrote:That's great, Kevin. I've built a few electronic projects but am no way a tech. Keep us posted on your amp project.

I'm not a tech either but I was a repair and warranty manager for a music store back in Virginia and used to service fender products, marshall/korg products, kurtzweil products. But like I mention in another thread I lost a lot of knowledge from those days as I had to learn a new trade. Sarah, I'll take my digital camera along with me and have my buddy shoot some. My buddy has a really nice table saw and is being nice enough to let me use it. I'll keep you guys posted on the builds. In the mean time here's the amp kit I'm buying.
http://triodeelectronics.com/50wmarshkit.html

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:01 pm

OMG! :o That's a lot of parts!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Wed May 19, 2010 8:27 pm

. I'll keep you guys posted on the builds. In the mean time here's the amp kit I'm buying.
http://triodeelectronics.com/50wmarshkit.html[/quote]

Kevin, Triode are a great bunch of people, know them well. I am in the process of getting samples to them for cabs they need. My shop is about 8 miles from their shop so, I'm looking forward to supplying them.

BTW, 13 ply birch was never used by Marshall in their cabs/heads. 4x12's were 11 ply Baltic Birch, head cabs may have been 9 ply, not sure yet so don't quote me. Most companies selling Marshall style cabs claim "13 ply" and are usually 9 ply, which is still pretty darn strong. I believe Orange and Matchless use 13 ply, about 5/8" thick and can get heavy in a 4x12. Your head will be bulletproof in 13 ply!

As for an amp forum here, sounds great to me, happy to provide any help that I can. Many problems are easy fixes, but don't quote me on that either :D

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Amp tech section

Postby KRamone27 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:59 am

zarfnober wrote:BTW, 13 ply birch was never used by Marshall in their cabs/heads. 4x12's were 11 ply Baltic Birch, head cabs may have been 9 ply, not sure yet so don't quote me. Most companies selling Marshall style cabs claim "13 ply" and are usually 9 ply, which is still pretty darn strong. I believe Orange and Matchless use 13 ply, about 5/8" thick and can get heavy in a 4x12. Your head will be bulletproof in 13 ply!

I knew they used 11-ply but I didn't want a lot of voids in the cabinet so it can resonate freely. The 13-ply is for the speaker cabinet and I plan on using hardwood for the head cabinet. But if I have any 13 ply left over I might build the head cabinet out of it too.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Re: Marshall JCM800 style amp kit

Postby zarfnober » Thu May 20, 2010 6:33 pm

The birch ply shouldn't have any voids, they fill them in with little footballs, which are not a problem. Your typical Marshall cab will have these footballs on the outside, which is tolexed and out of sight. You can get batches that have no footballs on either side, but usually there will be some on one side. Just request void free and that is what you'll get, but it is not the birch ply available at Home Depot, that stuff is full of voids.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Those football shaped patches are on the face though, I'm talking about between the faces. My local Menards sells both the 11-ply and 13-ply 3/4" birch. The 11-ply has some voids which are visible on the side but the 13-ply has no voids at all but for $70.00 it better not.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Today I got all the panels cut for the cab and will hopefully assemble tomorrow and have some pics up soon.

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”