Fuzzrite clone Schematic help!

albertozioli

Fuzzrite clone Schematic help!

Postby albertozioli » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:06 am

Hi guys, I'm new member and I've been trying to build my fuzzrite pedal 3 times without success, the fuzz sound that comes from the amp is very weak, I've been trying all the schematic below but is not working, I have heard that I have to match the transistors to make the fuzz works correctly, Is it true? I think I'm not the only one that is trying to build it and is having the some problem, please any help? correct schematic? pictures?

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... 1.jpg.html

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... .GIF.html4

http://s395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31 ... =ascending

Thank you!!!
And Sorry about my broken English... hehehehehe...
Albert

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Fuzzrite clone Schematic help!

Postby Veenture » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi Albert, welcome to the Forum. Sorry I can't help you with schematics but I do hope you'll find some help soon.

oigun
Top Producer

Postby oigun » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi Albert welcome! Maybe a silly remark but did you cut the copper traces everywhere where there is a red square/dot?
Good luck!

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:27 pm

The fuzzrite is a very simple circuit. Through the years there were two or three different versions manufactured by Mosrite. The version that your link shows is the last version, it used silicon transistors.

If you have followed the board pattern that was supplied, and have installed the parts correctly it should work fine. The two transistors do not need to be matched, and almost any NPN silicon transistor will work in this circuit.

The basis of operation is that the circuit is a two stage amplifier. Each stage is made up of one 0.05uF input cap, one NPN transistor, one 470K bias resistor, and one 0.002 output cap. The output of the first stage is cascaded into the second stage. The fuzz control acts like a balance control. It takes the signal from either the output of the first stage or the output of the second stage, or a combination somewhere in between. The volume control just sets the level of the output to match the bypassed clean signal.

If there is very little output double check your wiring. Then check each of the transistors. Also make sure that you have identified and installed the transistor leads correctly.

If you describe your build or post photos, I will try to help you figure out the problem.

albertozioli

Postby albertozioli » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi oigun I did the copper trace square roles, this is not the problem hehehehe... but thank you any way!!! ;-)

Mr. Bill Thank you for helping, I will take some pictures tomorrow and I post here...

Thank you guys!!!
Albert

albertozioli

Postby albertozioli » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:16 am

Hi guys, Thank you for helping me again, I took some pictures of my fuzzrite project, I don't know if because I'm using 2 capacitors with 0.047uf instead 0.05uf or the pots that I'm using with 47k for the volume and 100k for the attack are the problem (I dont know if changes something if the pot is log or linear), it makes just the clean sound, come just a little distortion from the amp....

This is the list that I'm using...

Pot Volume 47k
pot Attack 100k
2 x npn bc108 Transistor
2 x 10k resistors
2 x 470k resistors
2 x 2n2 (0.0022uf) capacitors
2 x 0.047uf (2a472j) capacitors
1 x 1m Resistor

Any Idea what is going wrong?

Thanks!!!

Albert

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:45 am

I don't know if this will help, but near the bottom of this page on my website is a couple of schematics and several reference photos.

http://www.mosritecelebrity.com/page31.html
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Albert:
I can't quite make out the color codes of your resistors. The two yellow caps are the 0.0022, the two green caps are the 0.047, the transistors are BC-108s.

Look at your first photo, the grey wire at the lower left is the input and the yellow wire at the lower right is the ground, Correct?
What are the color codes on the resistor to the right of the 2n2 cap located at the top left of the board?
What are the color codes on the resistor between the green cap and the first transistor?
What are the color codes on the resistor between the input green cap and ground at the bottom of the board?

Your soldering skills will get better with time, but they aren't too bad now.

Sarah: Nice page! Where's a photo of Deke's Reverb Unit?

albertozioli

Postby albertozioli » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:21 am

Hi

I bought the parts at a shop near from my home, I asked about the resistor and the capacitors with the correct codes and they give me this ones, maybe one of them is incorrect, I checked on internet about the resistor, but I couldn't understand very well 5 bands codes capacitors, just the 4 bands codes... this are the resistors that I have on the board:

Look at your first photo, the grey wire at the lower left is the input and the yellow wire at the lower right is the ground, Correct?
Correct!!!

What are the color codes on the resistor to the right of the 2n2 cap located at the top left of the board?
They are 10k (brow, black, orange and gold)

What are the color codes on the resistor between the green cap and the first transistor?
470k (Brow, Red, Black, Violet and gold)

What are the color codes on the resistor between the input green cap and ground at the bottom of the board?
1m (brow, Black, Black, Gold and Brow)

Thank very much again!!!!!

If it works I will post the schematic and the pictures!!!! maybe it will help other person in the future....

Albert.
Albert

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:31 am

470k (Brow, Red, Black, Violet and gold)
This value seems wrong. With 5 band marking the digits are yellow=4 (gold), Violet=7, Black=0, Red=2, which decodes as 47000, which is 47K not 470K.

Do you have an ohmmeter to read the value of the resistors? If you do, then check them all and see that they are the correct values.

Maybe you can get a better photo showing the color bands for me.

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”