Reverb Tank: Project

dubtrub
Administrator

Reverb Tank: Project

Postby dubtrub » Sat May 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Since I don't have enough to do building guitars, I thought I would build a reverb unit. I am using the layout and schematics from Weber's website, but am building the unit from scratch. All holes were drilled and finished to final dimension using a Dremel tool and carbide grinding wheels. The unit is based on the Fender 6G15, but Weber calls it a 5G15. There is some minor deviations from the 6G15 design basically in the rectifier stage.

I purchased a blank chassis from a seller on eBay. Actually he had to special build it as at the time he was not offering it. All the electronics' I ordered from Antique Electronic supply and few items from Weber's web site. Although not listed for sale, Ted Weber sent me a faceplate. He is a great guy to do business with.

As you can see from the photo's it is coming along pretty well. I have cut all the holes in the blank chassis and have finished building the circuit board. I should have it assembled in a couple more hours of work. I will build the cabinet from scratch as soon as the chassis is completed. I will post photo's as the project progresses.

EDITED: Here's the finished project. See page three of this topic to see additional photo's of the finished reverb tank.

EDITED, 3/15/11: Here it is again after another re-tolexing in black and silver grill cloth. I used old grill cloth out of another project (Bandmaster not pictured) that I restored. I changed it to match my '65 Bandmaster that I use in our Surf/Rock band.

Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Reverb tank project

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat May 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Danny,
Minus the labor, which would be added from the manufacturer for a Unit, How much
do you have tied up in Parts, the actual cost for EVERYTHING, from SCRATCH??
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat May 10, 2008 7:28 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Danny,
Minus the labor, which would be added from the manufacturer for a Unit, How much
do you have tied up in Parts, the actual cost for EVERYTHING, from SCRATCH??

Everything, which includes all electronics, wood,tolex, grill cloth, right around $230 give or take a few pennies. It's always cheaper to source out all the parts and material rather than buying a kit. Which BTW, is the most enjoyable. I might add that I didn't know jack sh-t about electronics, (I still don't know much) but I do know all the safety factors and how to compare a schematic to a layout drawing, discharge capacitors and read a digital volt meter. Everything I have learned over the past couple of years is from reading books, watching Gerald Weber's DVD and participating at the Fender Discussion Page, Amp Mods & Repairs forum. http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?d ... 1019:22:49

BTW, the Fender Discussion Page is a great forum for everthing related to Fender.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat May 10, 2008 10:02 pm

I CAN'T FIND A "THUMBS UP" SMILEY... :cry:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 13, 2008 9:57 am

Well, today I fired it up. At first there was nothing but after a little bit of trouble shooting I found the culprit and got it working. I wish I could say it's working perfectly but it has an annoying 60 cycle hum. However I'm still able to test (play) it and check out how it sounds. Right now I'm just testing it while it sit's uncased on my work bench. Teaching myself electronics is a hard way to learn. But I'm slowly getting it. Once I get the hum situation resolved it should sound better than the '63 Fender reissue one that I have.

Now I'm off to Home Depot to get the wood to build the cabinet for it. ;)
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 13, 2008 10:14 am

.....another missing "Thumbs Up!" :mrgreen:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 13, 2008 10:45 am

Thanks Dennis

I know this probably isn't something most people on a Mosrite forum are interested in. But I had to tell somone. :lol:

I was pretty excited as I am new to this electronis thing. I plugged it in, no smoke flames or sparks. Next step, turn it on and stand back, hold my breath. Last step, hook up the amp and guitar, sit back and smile.

It's quite and good feeling to build a project and it works.
Danny Ellison

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Tue May 13, 2008 12:23 pm

There aren't many things cooler for guitar playing than an outboard reverb unit, unless it's one you built yourself. I almost built one, but then found a vintage copy of a Fender tank.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 13, 2008 3:28 pm

Got the 60 cycle hum problem temporarily resolved. Did a side by side sound comparison with the Fender reissue, and proud to say the home built sounds the best. Anybody want to buy a like new Fender '63 reissue reverb unit? :lol:
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 pm

dubtrub wrote: Anybody want to buy a like new Fender '63 reissue reverb unit? :lol:

Danny

Nawh, you keep it ......I wanna purchase the "DUBTRUB SPECIAL" with my pay pal.... :mrgreen:

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”