5F1 build

dubtrub
Administrator

5F1 build

Postby dubtrub » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:59 pm

I had several misc. parts lying around including a blank circuit board and a speaker so I purchased a chassis off eBay for $50 and the remaining parts through Weber to build a 5F1 tweed Champ amp. It's a fairly straight forward simple little amp but they are cute and sound great for five watts of power. I thought I had the shorting circuit input jacks but when I got to that stage of the build I found that all I had was stereo jacks. So, I'm waiting on an order for the jacks. Next I'll start on the cabinet. I have a bunch of tweed covering material and oxblood grill cloth so it's just a matter of time until it's up and running. Hopefully I'll finish this project, unlike my Duo Sonic still awaiting a finish.

................as if I needed another amp. :o
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: 5F1 build

Postby Veenture » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Ah...yes...another nice build! :P

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Cool! This would make a great pair with the Duo-sonic, so maybe that will be inspiration to complete them both.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Beautiful, Danny!!!

I love to look at well-crafted point-to-point wiring, though I have NO IDEA what I'm looking at! It just looks so nice and orderly.

I used to enjoy looking at the hand-made wiring harnesses in custom cars. Works of art and functional, too!!!

Again; I had no clue as to what was what, but it was still beautiful. Art is where you find it, I guess!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:43 pm

That's way too kewl Danny! I want to see the Duo, Champ, and the Ellison Reverb Tank altogether! :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks guy's.

Dennis, the reverb tank that I built has been recovered to match my 65 Bandmaster. It has had quite a workout since I started the Tsunami Surfers band. I'm trying to rejuvenate an interest in building projects. I had to forced myself into building this amp. Maybe I'll get back to finishing the Duo Sonic sometime this year.

Danny Ellison

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:59 pm

It's so nice to see someone take the time to do a neat job of wiring.

I am reminded of a friend who very carefully tidied all the wires behind his stereo, wrapping them into coils, and grouping them together into very tidy bundles... The result was predictable, with such long runs of wire, they cross-talked something fierce, and the sound was badly compromised.

Neatness alone does not guarantee success! :lol: However, neatness, plus skill and knowledge makes for an attractive, neatly finished product. Congratulations!
Olrocknroller

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Nice build, Champs can be a pain to wire due to that small chassis. They can sound huge in a deluxe cab with a bigger OT and 12" speaker. Great amp.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Yes, I agree. Very nice job, but I have come to expect that from you.

I can't see very well from the photos, but what is the value of the two input resistors? They look like 680 ohms or 68 ohms to me, instead of the normal 68K.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Danny, since you recovered your Reverb to match the Bandmaster, how about making a variant on the Victoria Reverberato - 6G15 reverb and harmonic vibrato in a single box? That would go nicely with your tweed amps!

http://www.shufflocity.com/gear/reverberato.htm
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”