Polytone grill

mark1
Top Producer

Polytone grill

Postby mark1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Would anyone know where I can find foam for a Polytone grill? Polytone never answeres calls or email. They are pretty much useless to get any info from.Nothing on Google . The amp is a 1978 model 102. ...Thanks :)

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: Polytone grill

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:52 pm

That will be a tough one to find. I doubt that Polytone will have anything for it in any case. Have you tried looking at Radio Shack for some generic foam that can be cut to fit? Maybe Parts Express? Which version do you have, the one with the foam that covers the entire front panel or the one with the circular foam that just covers the speaker.

I've see people use those stamped metal circular grilles to replace the round foam things. You can also build a thin panel covered with grille fabric that can cover the full front versions.

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Mr. Bill ,I have the version that covers the entire front ,Two 8" and one 12" speakers.I'm doing a restoration for a customer and he wants it as close to original as possable :shock: Not an easy task.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Try foam speaker grilles.com. They custom cut and shape foam grilles to your specs. It will probably be very expensive but if your customer wants it go for it. The samples they show on the website really look good.

I'm guessing that the amp you have should have the checkerboard cut front foam.

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:11 pm

"I'm guessing that the amp you have should have the checkerboard cut front foam."

It is the checkerboard cut . It's so bad that it's turning to dust and is brown now not black!

alexage

Postby alexage » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:46 am

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks everyone. My customer decided to go with a full metal grill with small punched holes. I had it custom made by Speaker works com. Customer went to metal grill for speaker protection and because I had no luck finding the proper replacement. I think he made the best choice because the foam had nothing behind it to protect the speakers! It also looks great.

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:02 pm

I think that originally a heavy black fabric scrim was glued to the front of the speakers to protect the speaker cones.

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”