Repair of a Fender Dimension V.

LHyde

Repair of a Fender Dimension V.

Postby LHyde » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:24 am

Hello to all. I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. I have a Fender Dimension V reverb expander. About six or seven years ago I loaned it to a friend to use for some of his recordings. It did not work when he returned it, so just packed it away because I did not need to use it, and forgot about it. I rediscovered it this past week and thought it might be nice to have it in working order. Do any of you know how to repair this unit, or perhaps you may know someone who can. Please advise. Thank you ,Lonnie Hyde.
Lonnie Hyde

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Re: Repair of a Fender Dimension V.

Postby Mr. Bill » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Lonnie, as you know, the Fender Dimension IV is a Tel-Ray oilcan type delay unit, that plugs into the reverb tank loop and creates a vibrato or Leslie like sound effect.

Like most of these old oilcan effects, the oil tends to leak out and dry up causing a loss of effect. If your unit has not been used in a while, you may be in need of a clean up and an oil refill. There is also a drive belt that sometimes comes loose or breaks so be sure to check that as well.

There is a webboard for these units and there were a few guys that rebuilt them for a fee. Try searching "oilcan addicts" to find the board and read a few of the posts there regarding cleaning and refilling the oil. There is fellow in Texas that is selling the correct oil on eBay, I just got some from him a few weeks ago. I don't know how handy you are, but basic repairs on these things are pretty simple and straight forward. I have three different oilcan echo units and all of them needed to be cleaned and refilled.

Let me know what you find out and if there is anything I can help you to figure out.

LHyde

Postby LHyde » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Thank you Mr. Bill. I will try to research the information you gave me as soon as time permits. The way you described it , it cannot be too complicated, but then again!!!!!. Thank you for your response. You guy's are great. Best regards. Lonnie.
Lonnie Hyde

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Try this guy rutledge@fpunet.com
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

LHyde

Postby LHyde » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 am

Thank you zarfnober,( I like you name). I will contact this person. I truly appreciate any and all of the help in getting this unit working again. Thanks to all. Lonnie.
Lonnie Hyde

LHyde

Postby LHyde » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Thank you again zarfnober and Mr. Bill. I was able to track the information that you guy's gave me. I was able to talk with Jim Rutledge and Bob walker. With there help I should have this unit up and running. I opened it up and it was sparkling clean inside almost new like with just a very small bit of oil in. I swear I can not figure out how the oil escaped. There is absolutely no traces of seepage or leakage anywhere in the unit. It is all clean inside and out of the little cabinet as well. I guess it will remain a mystery. I am now tracking down the drive belt for the little beastie. Thank all of you again for the help. Regards. Lonnie Hyde.
Lonnie Hyde

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 pm

The oil can dry out and evaporate, it doesn't always leak. There isn't that much of it in the can to begin with so after 40 years you can expect there to be some loss of oil volume.

Let us know how you progress with the repairs.

Bill

LHyde

Postby LHyde » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Yes, I will Mr. Bill. Thank you for your and interest in my little endeavor and all the encouragement. Regards. Lonnie.
Lonnie Hyde

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”