Mosrite into Matchless Amp

zarfnober
Top Producer

Mosrite into Matchless Amp

Postby zarfnober » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Anyone out there try this yet? I took a Harmony 415C, never liked it, and turned it into a 15 watt version of a Matchless DC30. I suck at playing, and it's a pretty high gain amp, plus I'm currently in an apartment. So I brought it to a local guy here in Charlottesville, great player.

He played a couple of his guitars through it, and then he plugged in my 66 Ventures, sounds nice clean on both channels. So then we cranked it on the Lightning channel, then on the EF86 ( think Early Vox ) channel. Speakers are vintage Celestions Blackbacks(55hz) in a closed combo cab. Then we bridged the channels together and turned both to 10. Killer sounds, good thing I had some NOS EF86 tubes for it, as they can be microphonic. You do have to stay a little farther from the amp with both channels on, and ya better play good too.

If you get a chance and haven't tried one yet, try any of the Matchless/Bad Cat/Vox EL 84 amps. Sounds like nothing else, I'll try and get him to record some sound clips next time I see him.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Re: Mosrite into Matchless Amp

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Interesting, thank you. 'Never tried messing with amps, always "too busy," too preoccupied, lazy or, "Oh, look, there's something shiny!"

Congrats on having done so.

Return to “Amp Tech Q&A and Repair Shop”