Hallmark availability

64sunburst
Top Producer

Hallmark availability

Postby 64sunburst » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:20 pm

I went to the Hallmark site and it says that they are currently out of stock on the Custom 60's as well as other models. Anybody know if availability is a continuing issue with them, or is this just a temporary thing? I'm just wondering how long it would take to get one of those beauties.

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Re: Hallmark availability

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:30 pm

I was chatting with Bob Shade the other day (not about Hallmarks specifically) and he happened to mention that he just placed an order for another run of Custom 60s. I don't think availability is a real issue, but Hallmark is a pretty small operation and Bob's always in demand for restorations and custom work on top of the production stuff.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:03 am

I spoke with Bob and he was expecting new stock around the end of summer: late August maybe.
I have one, and expect I will get another (there is no such thing as too many guitars). It is not an attempt to be an exact copy of a Mark 1, but to incorporate little changes that seem to be a problem with the originals. The PUs are potted to eliminate squeel, but otherwise, they are very accurate repros of the higher output orginal PUs. For the money, under a grand, and the quality, you can't go wrong.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:15 am

Are the 60s bodies made of basswood?

zak

Postby zak » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:34 am

Yes.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:42 am

Oki....I do wonder if we talk DiPinto quality here. Made in Korea - some excellent, others so so.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:34 pm

You guy's make it sound as if Basswood is a bad thing. Many custom guitar builder's have used basswood over the years, including Mosrite. I've heard all the hoopla on other forums about foreign made guitars using Basswood and everyone turns up their nose to it. All I can do is laugh. Basswood is no worse nor better than other woods i.e. Alder or Ash. They all have the various uses and qualities. Even when purchasing the woods through suppliers there isn't really that much difference in cost, so one can't say Basswood is the cheapest way to go either.

I've built guitars out of virtually all of the popular woods and find that Alder is harder to work, Ash looks the best and Basswood is softer and easier to carve. I prefer not to use Basswood as it is too fragile and easy to dent. But, with a heavy hard finish coat of a poly finish as on many of the Asian and Hallmark imports, they are generally fine guitars and should hold up very well.

This is just my opinion and experience, so others opinions and experiences may vary. I think a lot of people confuse Basswood with Poplar or other cheap woods, which there are plenty.
Danny Ellison

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:37 pm

I'm in no position to say bad things about Basswood......seems though that it's often used for lower budget guitars?

zak

Postby zak » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:58 pm

dubtrub wrote:You guy's make it sound as if Basswood is a bad thing.

Er...no. What makes you say that?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:23 pm

zak wrote:
dubtrub wrote:You guy's make it sound as if Basswood is a bad thing.

Er...no. What makes you say that?

heck, I don't know. Extrasensory Perception I guess. :shock:
Danny Ellison

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”