Hallmark 60's Custom

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Hallmark 60's Custom

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed May 07, 2008 9:34 am

Maxtib wites:
Save up and buy a vintage Mosrite (would take a little while longer) - possibly a Jonas Ridge one? What's the reputation on these?

I've mentioned this story before, but my Wife and I had the good fortune of meeting Semie and his Wife Loretta back in '88 up in Jonas Ridge when he was starting to make his comeback. I had Special Ordered a Mosrite Ventures Model look alike, but that's where it stopped. It looks like my real '63 without "the Ventures" Logo on it. And there's too much to describe and I'm gonna get off topic with this, so let me just say, in a nutshell, if ANYONE has the option or good fortune of buying a Mosrite that was built in Jonas Ridge, OR EVEN from Booneville AK,........DO IT..... :shock:
These are the VERY LAST Mosrites made by the Man Himself, and they will only appreciate in Value as time goes on, so if you can afford it, or if your within the budget you want to be in, but it's a little more, spring for it.....You won't be sorry. He might of not been a good businessman, and some of us didn't care for those thin frets (on the '60s models), BUT He sure knew how to build a Beautiful Looking Guitar. ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

MaxTib

Postby MaxTib » Wed May 07, 2008 9:40 am

[quote="Dennisthe Menace]
. . . I had Special Ordered a Mosrite Ventures Model look alike, but that's where it stopped. It looks like my real '63 without "the Ventures" Logo on it. And there's too much to describe and I'm gonna get off topic with this . . . [/quote]

What's so different about it? I'm not particularly in the know about these guitars if I'm honest, other than the fact they're meant to be great instruments.

I've spotted one which is for sale in Texas, and by a good twist of fate my mother's friend is a Texan who is visiting there in a few months time.. hopefully something may develop!

I will have to start planning this in great detail.

Max

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed May 07, 2008 9:44 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote: He might of not been a good businessman, and some of us didn't care for those thin frets (on the '60s models), BUT He sure knew how to build a Beautiful Looking Guitar. ;)

AMEN!
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed May 07, 2008 10:05 am

MaxTib wrote:[

Max,
My '88 that I Special Ordered, looks like a 'Ventures" Model, but it doesn't say it on the Headstock. It also says Mosrite, but no "of California" which I requested since He was building it in N.C. She has Binding around the Body, up the Neck, AND around the Headstock like the one made for Joe Maphis in the mid to late '50s. She's got the Vibramute, factory Humbuckers with split coil (by pulling up either the Vol or Tone controls, Sidejack, Sperzel locking tuners (it stays in better tune than my P.R.S.!), glued in Neck, Medium-Jumbo frets. Oh, the Mosrite on the Headstock is in White Pearl. THESE ARE the differences between this guitar and a regular Mosrite. Is it any better than a regular Mosrite? Probably not, but these are the options I wanted on my personal guitar, and this is my Main Stage guitar, although I play my '65 P.W. as a backup guitar, in case one of my strings decides to go on strike.....
Max, is the guitar in Texas, for sale now? If so, I wouldn't count on it being there a few months from now, but you would know better than I with what the situation is with that guitar, but Good Luck to you if you should decide to go for it!! ;)
p.s. If you go to our Website, click on "pictures," I think about the 4th or 5th pic, is my '88 perched on its stand to the left of me while I was playing the '65 P.W.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed May 07, 2008 1:00 pm

I have one, and really enjoy playing it. I followed the "finish issues" thread over at surf guitar. It seems there was only the one time issue with the finish, so I figured chances are good if I ordered one, things would be OK.
The neck is definitely "fast", and the tremolo is smooth as silk. I'll see what I can do to get a picture up here.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed May 07, 2008 2:52 pm

Yeah, with that one exception, I have heard nothing but good reviews. And I have yet, been able to find one around here in Ft Lauderdale...... :roll:

MaxTib

Postby MaxTib » Wed May 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Dennisthe Menace :

Well, this one has pretty much everything opposite to yours! 'Normal' pick-ups, Ventures logo, 'Made in California', binding only on the neck, bolt on neck and regular Klusons. Am I right in thinking that during this period Semie made a multitude of combinations of options?

It'll be a little stretch, but I very well may pop for this one. I can see myself feeling foolish in the near future! And besides, how else am I going to spend my money? Decision by the weekend I believe. :)

p.s. sorry for hijacking the Hallmark thread; I'm just very excitable about this!

Max

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed May 07, 2008 3:50 pm

Here it is. My wife took these pics. It was a birthday gift, and she took this picture and emailed it to me at work within minutes of its arrival. What a tease!

A pic of me with the Hallmark. As you can see, I'm a geezer, but I'm married to a "much younger woman", so I still feel young at heart. The chord is Am arpeggio with a little whammy bar dip. I played 'Surf Rider' when the pic was taken. Out of frame, a Fender Blues Deluxe ('95 Blonde tolex with Oxblood Grillcl.) with a '63 RI Reverb tank. The tone of this axe would also work well playing West Coast Swing Blues.

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Wed May 07, 2008 4:14 pm

Looks like most of us Mosrite Lovers ( or Mosrite clone lovers) have seen many a year pass by. I for one have no problems with my age as it is better that the alternative. I'm working on 58 this year. Still playing and enjoying it more that ever. I play my Custom 60 through a Fender Twin Custom 15. I just love the sound of those big 15" speakers. It also helps that my wife plays in the band.
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed May 07, 2008 4:35 pm

sleeperNY wrote:Looks like most of us Mosrite Lovers ( or Mosrite clone lovers) have seen many a year pass by. I for one have no problems with my age as it is better that the alternative. I'm working on 58 this year. Still playing and enjoying it more that ever.

Well, I've got you all beat. I'm 62 and still think I'm a kid. Still haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up. :lol:

This is me and the '66 I restored that Vincent 'Desert Surfer' now owns. Vincent took this picture while at my home.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”