Hallmark custom 60 & fender jaguar

Hydra19
Valued Member

Re: Hallmark custom 60 & fender jaguar

Postby Hydra19 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:18 am

thanks Bob!

that's a hoodie I got from work, and our colour is green. We usually do black and green but this time it was all green. I work in Online Poker and we organize tournaments in Europe so we produce merchandise like hats, cards, chips, hoodies...I don't wear it much outside but wear it indoors and noticed it goes great with that guitar, in fact, everyone has made that exact comment :) It does go great with a lot of colour. A friend of mine, who is not a guitar player, but can appreciate guitars, commented that's it's a real looker, a show guitar, and I guess it is, but that's not to say that's what it was made for, I don't consider it a show guitar, because I play it more than looking at it. It's just a combination of that Mosrite Shape and that super cool colour, I was tossing between Sunset and Fire Sparkle and I'm happy with this, a green guitar, while the fire sparkle looks cool, it reminded me of a clownburst Greco I had once...So I was very happy with the colour.

A note about strings, I broke the high e on the first day by pressing way too low on the bar and it kinked the string and it unwrapped from the ball end, this is not defect, it is the way it is made and not meant to go that low too often, there are other strings that can prevent that or you can put a bit of solder on the string to make it stronger. I figured I wouldn't break another string by doing that so I just decided to go out and buy a pair of my normal brand, Ernie Ball 10s, even though I usually play 11's and I wanted to keep it at least in the stock gauge for a while, it could be me, but to me it sounded a bit better with those strings and since then, no breaks, and I've been using the vibrato a lot, and it stays in tune very good, considering I use that bar that much.

I've got the Jaguar, that's got a C neck, a Les Paul with a 60s neck, a short scale parlour guitar with a wide V neck, and a Yamaha acoustic with a thin neck, but not as thin as the Hallmark, and to be honest, the only real difference I feel is when picking up the parlour V neck, the Hallmark's neck is on the thin side but it feels good in my smallish hands, and is very fast.

You can put me in the group that really likes this guitar, and would recommend it. If you're interested in a Mosrite, makes sense to try one of these, I couldn't do that, so I went on the forums to gather as much info as I could, and in all those pages, and all those threads, there was very little negative comments, for me, it just made sense as the closest I could get was buying a used Kurukomo Excellent 65, used, gigged, chipped, and 1000 pounds. Compared to that, the Hallmark was about 30% cheaper, brand new and in that colour, now if I can finally see if I like this style of guitar and if I'd like a Mosrite, I wouldn't really consider paying more than 1000 pounds for a guitar, since I have so many, so to me, it was a great choice!

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Thank you for the kind review!

We recommend the GHS re-enforced ball end strings to guys. Those never let us down. Sorry about the Daddario's, we are trying to run out of those.

The solder trick is a good one too, but these days you can get good strings that work super with most vibrato's.

I am glad you like our finishes too!

Our goal at Hallmark Guitars is to offer a professional top quality guitar with superior tone and play ability with a stunning finish in a deluxe form fit brown alligator case with real velvet interior to protect your guitar, that the working class guy can afford.

Or.............. to boldly go, where no guitar company has gone before..............well, to my knowledge we are the only existing guitar company with a turbine mounted to a guitar. (Wing-Bat!)

Anyway, thanks again, you are a great guy and super enthusiastic!

Bob

erksin

Postby erksin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:58 am

You got the right color, that's for sure! :mrgreen:

The longer I own this guitar, the more I love it. I've found that it's killed a lot of the GAS I had for other things like a Jazzmaster or an SG Special with Vibrola, etc. It'll do the surf stuff obviously, but these pickups through the right rig will cover the Gretschy Neil Young Americana/Roots/Alt.Country stuff or heavier gained up sounds easily too. Once I went up to a fatter gauge string set (10-52) I had zero tuning stability issues - in fact I can not play this thing for a week or two and pick it up and it's still in tune.

Yeah it turns heads too, but if it didn't sound great and play like butter I'd have flipped mine rather quickly.
www.catalinbread.com
erksin@catalinbread.com

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 am

I was just cleaning and restringing my HC60 in SparkleBurst and am still knocked out by this guitar. It's so beautiful and plays and sounds so well. Also, the attention to detail that Bob incorporates, as evidenced by the tremolo and the instrument case, make it all the better.

As soon as I get her tuned up, I'm going to plug her into my 1975 VibroChamp and my 2005 Blues Junior for an A/B. As I've almost always played this guitar through my 1966 Tremolux, this should be a fun and informative test.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!! I love that red, white and blue guitar Bob posted elsewhere on this forum. Unusually creative paint job and super attractive.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:31 pm

@ erksin,
i checked out those pics of your guitar pretty much daily, had it on my iphone webpage just to remind me what's coming!
3 weeks prior to receiving the hallmark I bought a parlour guitar, so 2 guitars in a month and I must admit I haven't had any GAS either, hope it stays that way, although I have been wanting a Fender princeton to play it through :)

erksin

Postby erksin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Hydra19 wrote:@ erksin,
i checked out those pics of your guitar pretty much daily, had it on my iphone webpage just to remind me what's coming!
3 weeks prior to receiving the hallmark I bought a parlour guitar, so 2 guitars in a month and I must admit I haven't had any GAS either, hope it stays that way, although I have been wanting a Fender princeton to play it through :)

Like this?

www.catalinbread.com
erksin@catalinbread.com

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:07 am

yeah, exactly like that ;) princeton will be mine!

btw, I saw a lefty Hallmark sunset sparkle on Ebay, you're not selling it are you? The seller is asking $1200 :)

I finally played a Mosrite Ventures model yesterday, couldn't believe they had one in the shop, for 1800 pounds :) It's smaller than the Hallmark, and although the neck to me wasn't too different, it seemed shorter, all in all, it's a bit different, but not as much difference as there is in price, I'd still want to play a Mosrite, but only if I get a good deal,, in the end, I just may swap the pickups in the Hallmark for original Mosrites.

erksin

Postby erksin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:13 am

Not mine - there was a special run of 12 lefties, four of which were Sunsets I think. Around $1200 is what we all paid because a few parts of the vibrato assembly had to be custom cast for us - Hallmark doesn't do a lefty version with vibrato, so they are automatically rare birds now. He's not making any money off that guitar if it sells for that price.
www.catalinbread.com
erksin@catalinbread.com

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Looks like you guys are having great fun grooving on a great tune. The song brings back memories from many years ago from when The Animals made this song famous. The C60 is a great guitar and is perfect for this song. Keep on grooving guys!

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:11 am

hey guys, any tips on getting my C60 to sound more like a Ventures Mosrite? I have no idea about the pickup heights, had them all the way up, now have them way down low and don't hear much of a sound difference.

What are your heights and what have you found from fooling around with them? To me they sound brigther when they're lower, although I did have them 1-2 mm off the strings.

I will experiment some more but would appreciate any pointers, thanks. I will also get some 500k pots

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”