Pickup differences

TriflerShawn

Pickup differences

Postby TriflerShawn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 am

..so trying to decide which Hallmark I want to be my first.
I'm leaning towards the Johnny Ramone as it would be awesome for our Ramones tribute show we're doing in October.
BUT...I'm worried about versatility. I have only played a Mosrite Mark II once (one of the JR models IIRC), and this was
a few years back. I dug it, but I only played it for a few minutes, and of course it was through a cranked Marshall.

I'm wondering if a Custom 60 might be the more versatile guitar?
How different are the pickups between the two models?

khai123

Re: Pickup differences

Postby khai123 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 am

Well I have the Hallmark II/2 model; went for the Johnny but they were out of stock. Anyways, the Hallmark II is very versatile, more so than you'd think. I have a little 18 watt 1974x copy that I play it through, mostly it gets cranked; but a lot of the time I keep it mellow and play some blues. The neck pickup is super bluesy and full sounding. The middle sounds like a Tele/Paul with the mids scooped out a bit. Then the bridge is classic Ramones and any other loud rock. I've played Life's Been Good (Joe Walsh) and pulled a tone with great resemblance. In my JCM800 (dual channel) it sounds like a demon. Sometimes I over do the distortion on that one. But this guitar sounds huge and plays great. But, I don't have a 60 Custom for comparison. Maybe someday! :D

Thanks,
Eyan

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:25 am

Yeah, I've been eyeballing the Hallmark II model.
I figured it would get a great Ramones type tone. Also, it has the great Shade trem on it.
When I played the Deke model, I was very impressed with the trem.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:09 pm

To be honest, I really like the sound and tone of the Hallmark II guitar with the II pickups.

I went into the studio this year to record some basic tracks, and I took the Hallmark II as opposed to my 60C because the II has the full on sound of our pickups, but I think it has a little bit more tone when completely opened up. They can do everything from spanky twang, to great rock tones, to full on Marshall rage. The II is very versatile and I like the feel of the contoured body better as well.

Hope this helps............

Bob

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Bob Shade wrote:To be honest, I really like the sound and tone of the Hallmark II guitar with the II pickups.

I went into the studio this year to record some basic tracks, and I took the Hallmark II as opposed to my 60C because the II has the full on sound of our pickups, but I think it has a little bit more tone when completely opened up. They can do everything from spanky twang, to great rock tones, to full on Marshall rage. The II is very versatile and I like the feel of the contoured body better as well.

Hope this helps............

Bob

Awesome!.....Definitely helps.
Great to hear that the pickups in the II are uber versatile!
Narrowing my choices :D

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”