Just pulled the trigger on a Hallmark II

TriflerShawn

Re: Just pulled the trigger on a Hallmark II

Postby TriflerShawn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Here's another......

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Ok.....had a chance to put about a hour on my Hallmark II.
Practice ended up getting scrubbed, so I spent a little quality time with the new girl.

Right out of the box, it played great. I think I'll have to string it up with 11's as those 10's seem like rubber bands to me... :D
Opened the case, and just stared for a few minutes, such a beauty!!!
Picked her up, and strummed a chord. Remarkably, it was in PERFECT tune! Checked out the case candy, saw the Ramones pick and
grinned. So awesome!

The guitar is fairly light, my back definitely loves that. Fit and finish is perfect. Neck is a bit thinner than I'm used, but it's not too thin.
Took me a bit to get used to the neck, but once I did......LOOK OUT!

I love the Shade tremelo. I'm a Bigsby lover, and it feels similar, but is definitely a bit smoother. The handle feels great, very ergonomic.

Plugged in, and instantly had a great surf sound. Busted a little "Surf Rider" and started to run through all of the Ventures tunes I know.
It excels at that particular sound. Spanky, but round at the same time. Kind of like a fat Telecaster. NICE!

The low action and comfortable neck made Joe Maphis style licks a breeze, and the pickups handled that admirably. I could have played county
licks all night.....BUT........I had to hear it cranked.

I do not have a Marshall, but with my Tim pedal goosing my Gretch Executive (pretty much a Deluxe Reverb on steroids), I was in Ramones heaven.
Ran though my favorite Johnny Ramone licks. It was inspiring to play those licks on a guitar so similar to what Johnny played.

So...in conclusion, I am a happy camper. So much guitar for the price point. Actually it's a great guitar for ANY price point.
Even if I had paid twice what I paid, I would still be happy.

Bob wrote "PEEL OUT" on the back of the headstock. Nice touch!

Thanks to Bob for helping me decide on which guitar would suit me. I am most impressed. Can't wait to show the guys next practice. :D

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Glad it arrived safely! In front of your cool Gretsch amp it almost looks like a Hallmark Explorer?

Thank you for taking the plunge on a Hallmark II and the kind review!

BTW, I love your Joe Maphis ID pic. I am a big Joe fan too!

Bob

TriflerShawn

Postby TriflerShawn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Bob Shade wrote:Glad it arrived safely! In front of your cool Gretsch amp it almost looks like a Hallmark Explorer?

Thank you for taking the plunge on a Hallmark II and the kind review!

BTW, I love your Joe Maphis ID pic. I am a big Joe fan too!

Bob

Yep....Joe was the man.
I'm glad I took the plunge......NOW, to get me a Deke sig ! :D
As soon as I get a free second, I'll do a demo vid putting it through its paces.

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”