Re: Hallmark pickups "made-to-order" - did you know? Review

Postby Bob Shade » Fri May 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Hey Greg, that sounds fabulous!

Waaaaaart........Fat Pig!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Fri May 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Bob Shade wrote:Hey Greg, that sounds fabulous!

Waaaaaart........Fat Pig!

Thanks Bob!

I'll say again, I'm super pleased with everything about this guitar, and the new pickup is just icing on the cake.

I'm not usually one to "copycat" famous guitar tones, but I just had to give it a try. I'll put up more 60C/FatPig sound examples with different moderate/high gain setups probably next week.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri May 31, 2013 1:58 pm

That would be fantastic thank you!

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Here's some higher gain buttrock. :lol:

I sloppily ran through a medley of 80's hair cheese using the Hallmark 60 Custom, the "Fat Pig" bridge pickup, and a pretty cranked Marshall JVM410 through a Vintage 30 cab mic'd with a single SM57. I stumbled my way through some classic Guns and Roses, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Rush, Metallica, and Ozzy. :lol: :lol:

Greg's Buttrocking Fat Pig

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:49 am

Fantastic Greg! Working man brings back memories. When that frst Rush lp hit the racks I was in high school. I remember all 135 lbs of me listening to it then a feeling great. Finding my way, what a great debut lp.

Well the "Fat Pig" sounds great in your set up. What about lead tones?? Any chance of a round 2?

Also, would you mind posting this on our Facebook page with the pic of your 60 Custom with the Marshall? That would be awesome.

Very cool Greg, thank you Man! Keep Butt Rockin!

Bob

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:14 am

Bob Shade wrote:Fantastic Greg! Working man brings back memories. When that frst Rush lp hit the racks I was in high school. I remember all 135 lbs of me listening to it then a feeling great. Finding my way, what a great debut lp.

Well the "Fat Pig" sounds great in your set up. What about lead tones?? Any chance of a round 2?

Also, would you mind posting this on our Facebook page with the pic of your 60 Custom with the Marshall? That would be awesome.

Very cool Greg, thank you Man! Keep Butt Rockin!

Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm not much of a lead player or a real buttrocker, but I'll give it a shot this weekend. I can play a few KISS and AC/DC leads, but I'm no shredder type. I'm maybe a slightly-better-than-average punk guitarist at best. I have a buddy coming over for some barbecue and he is an 80's hairglam shred aficionado so maybe I can get him to throw down some sick leads. This guy can play if you're in to that sort of thing. :lol:

I'm not on facebook, so I can't post anything on your page, but you're more than welcome to use my pic and sound clips if you want to put them up yourself. Or maybe I can get my wife to do it. She's on facebook all the time. ;)

pillof

Postby pillof » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 am

I got my Fat Pig last week and gig'd with it this weekend. It's PERFECT. Just what I was looking for.

My main guitar for the past ten years is a MIJ 1990 Jazzmaster with Novak P90s, so I'm used to a more high-mid focused guitar sound.
All my other gears and the sound of my band are built around it (big muff, marshall, high gain grunge sound).
Therefore, when I got my Custom 60, I loved its classic surf clean, but it's way too different than the JM to be used in my current setup.

Fat Pig not only solves my problem but also makes my sound punchier than ever.
I asked Bob to make it RWRP to the neck pickup, and the middle position is now very clear and sweet even through overdrives, plus it's humbucking.
It has this full body sound with almost acoustic guitar feel to it.

Bridge alone is perfect for hi-gain/fuzz sound. the clarity and balance of every string makes it really easy to play.
The overall sound to me is in the middle point between a P90 SG and a P90 JM.
I did raise the first string pickup poles on both pickups a tad to get some JM type scratchy sound, and it works well.

I'm really satisfied with the Fat Pig equipped Custom 60 and I'm switching to it as my main guitar.

Thanks Bob for making this awesome pickup option and kudos to Greg to make it happen and share this on the forum.

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 am

I am glad to hear the "Fat Pig" worked well for your guitar and the hum bucking middle position sounds good to you. Thanks for the in depth review and if you ever decide to make a demo, that would be super.

This new pickup is well suited for Marshall tones and very articulate and cutting at high volumes.

Many thanks Phil!

Bob

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”