Sunday morning project - Deke TLC

TriflerShawn

Sunday morning project - Deke TLC

Postby TriflerShawn » Sun May 26, 2013 10:27 am

So I had some free time this morning. Thought I'd give my new Deke a good cleaning, and fix a few things that needed tending to.
I had to epoxy one of the magnets on the neck pickup, and tighten up the vibrato arm.
I snapped a few pics while I did it because a. I'm a geek like that, and b. thought ya'll might like to see some "guts"

I poked around while I had the pickguard off, and the pickups out. Man this thing is about as chambered as my Gretsch Duo Jet.
It seems like most of the guitar is hollow. No wonder it's so much lighter. Very nice!
Another I noticed was the binding. The binding as it meets the neck is different from the early models. Can't say I like either better, it's
just different. Anyhow, got the guitar back together, strung it up with 11's and WOW it rocks now. Got plans for this afternoon, but tommorow
I'm off, and I see some serious play time in my future!!

jfine
Top Producer

Re: Sunday morning project - Deke TLC

Postby jfine » Mon May 27, 2013 12:11 am

Nice job on the pickup! It looks a lot better than some of the early AP-6's I've seen pics of. (I've never examined the underside of one in person.) Some of the old ones look like science projects...
Did you get a leather washer for the vibrato arm? Bob S. posted something about that right before I ordered my 60 Custom, so I asked him to do the mod on mine--that was three years ago, and it's never loosened up. Works great! (I can't stand a loose vibrato arm!)

TriflerShawn

Re: Sunday morning project - Deke TLC

Postby TriflerShawn » Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 am

I actually tightened the screw, and put a bit of blue Loc-Tite on it.
Seems to be holding nicely! Yeah, the pickups are really crudely constructed,
but that's part of their charm. They sure do sound good!

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”